Soft Cheese??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Azriel, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I bought some of the Wal-Mart brand of the Velveta type cheese. I really don't like the flavor, my dog loves it, but she would eat anything that doesn't eat her first. Its real soft and sticky, if I cut it up into 1" peices would it be ok to give to the chickens as treats.
    Also I can get a good brand of 26% protien dry dog food on sale cheep. Would that be ok for chicken treats if softened with warm water?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:I think either would be OK occasionally and in small amounts. Treats should be less than 10% of their diet.

I think I would try to make the cheese smaller than 1"cubes. I am not sure if real soft and sticky could be a choking hazard.
    Mine have broken up dog kibbles, so I don't think you need to soak, but it won't hurt to soak.

Imp

3. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I soak their crumbles along with alfalfa pellets and horse sweet feed in hot water to make a nice mash in cold weather. Sometimes there's leftover frying oil, or bacon grease I mix into the mash, or the water the veggies from dinner cooked in.

Mine get cheese too, or the occasional roasted chicken/turkey carcass to pick apart, or the scraps of meatloaf nobody wanted. When I give the girls table scraps I try to limit the greasy/salty/sugary stuff (not good for my family either so there's not much of it). But it's added calories in the cold wintery weather we have here in Michigan, and helps take the place of the bugs and stuff they'd find free ranging in better weather.

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Check the ingredients. I suspect Velveeta is a processed "cheese product" manufactured from partially hydrogenated soybean oil and floor sweepings from a milk processing factory.

If it is a frankenfood product, then give it in moderation.

BTW, a chemist friend claims you can wash your patio with Velveeta -- good suds when you spray with hose.

5. 1FastFlamingo

1FastFlamingo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2010
    Brevard County, Florida
    My girlies love Velveeta style cheeses. I just put the leftover block down for them when it`s beyond use for us and they all tear it up. I also gave it to them as leftover shells and cheese too and that was a real sticky mess! LOL! Just watch out when they are finished with it?. gonna need somewhere, or someone, to wipe there beaks on! (Speaking from experience!) LMAO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by