Soft/clear egg busted on roost......

HOLWACHAGOT

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2015
I have a hen that layed a shell- less eggs on the roost last night.....It was of course busted this AM and there with the poop I scoop in the mornings. The hen is a red sex link and she lays almost every day since I got her.....with the exception of three days total. Two of those days were yesterday and the day before. This hen has also taken to eating bugs and lizards and frogs and everything else she can get hold too.....except the layer feed......She won't touch it. Should I be concerned or treat her for anything? How do I determine if this is deficiency, disease, or whatever? First thought from research is lock her down with nothing but layer feed.....it makes her very mad though. She wants out of the run to hunt and squawks like a rooster till I let her out. Relentlessly....Any suggestions

Holwachagot

Last edited:
How old is this bird and how long have you had her?
If she's a new layer, a thin or shelless egg is not uncommon.

What other birds do you have and how much space are they in?
Stress from crowding can cause laying problems.

Are the other birds laying OK and eating the feed?
Any chance the feed is moldy or wet?

Just thinking of possibilities.

Thanks for the reply...
She's a couple years old.... I got her as a rescue with a buff orpington and a Barnvelder....They have an abundance of space and are only confined at night to the coup /run. She has consistently layed enormous eggs daily for the three months I've had her. The three chickens have 55 square foot run and 20 square feet of floor in the hen house. The roost is up above so it actually provides more walking/living area by adding another 10 square feet above to roost.....I seriously doubt space is the issue just from what I have read because they have free range of the entire backyard from sunup to the time they go to roost(1/2 acre).....but I am a total newbie.....aside from reading obsessively since I had the chickens it's all new. Quite frankly, I am starting to think there is more bad info than good out in the internet chicken world.....quite overwhelming trying to sort through info with little to no experience.....no matter how much you read......nothing substitutes experience....chicken rearing being no exception

Holwachagot

Thanks for the reply...
She's a couple years old.... I got her as a rescue with a buff orpington and a Barnvelder....They have an abundance of space and are only confined at night to the coup /run. She has consistently layed enormous eggs daily for the three months I've had her. The three chickens have 55 square foot run and 20 square feet of floor in the hen house. The roost is up above so it actually provides more walking/living area by adding another 10 square feet above to roost.....I seriously doubt space is the issue just from what I have read because they have free range of the entire backyard from sunup to the time they go to roost(1/2 acre).....but I am a total newbie.....aside from reading obsessively since I had the chickens it's all new. Quite frankly, I am starting to think there is more bad info than good out in the internet chicken world.....quite overwhelming trying to sort through info with little to no experience.....no matter how much you read......nothing substitutes experience....chicken rearing being no exception

Holwachagot
Absolutely!! Sometimes it's best to wait and watch closely.

So space not an issue.
Was it totally shell-les or just very thin shell?

Feed still in question...are the other birds eating it and are you sure she's not eating any of it?
Do you have oyster shells always available in a separate container?
Your location isn't listed but if foraging just bloomed/boomed it could be a one off from change in diet.

Could be nothing, she could have had a scare...that can make for a funky egg.
I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens repeatedly then I would isolate her so you can observe her eating drinking pooping habits.....
.....nope she won't like it but too bad for her, be the alpha chicken.

OK....very thin shell...but 100 percent soft and semi translucent.

and since you asked.....nobody will eat the layer right now....not even from my hand.....which is very suspect to me? or do they all just prefer the abundance of bugs and prefer to hold out for chopped fruit and veggies( they all three still actively and aggressively seek food when I go turn rocks over for them or call to them to come get a snack) They won't touch the layer pellets even fresh out of the main bag.????

Been grinding all their eggs shells to a pulp and giving back to them with fruit an veggies and such....but no oyster shell supplement.....I was told not necessary and regret not getting some anyway already.....I will just in case.

Hopefully the 24 hours they spent in Jail was just enough of a change in routine to cause it and things will be business as usual for her next time???

gonna go get some shells and a fresh bag of layer pellets....
Thanks again for the feedback

Holwachagot

I'd look closely at the feed in the bag that they won't eat...and check the manufacture date on the bag they won't eat and any new bag you buy.

Just an update for any future readers curious....she had runny poo for a couple days and now she is back to normal laying and poo....
I threw out the old food and got a fresh bag but the problem fixed itself before she ever touched the layer pellets or the shells. They really just don't want the layer pellets.....I have realized how bad all the fresh veggie and fruit scraps ....coupled with bugs and everything else they can catch are far prefered.....thanks for your help.
Holwachagot

Back
Top Bottom