Soft crop, brown liquid coming out.....

apickchick

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 1, 2013
My Partridge Plymouth Rock is 3 years old and my bossy girl. My husband fed them a bunch of cantaloupe the other day. Later she was in the coop just standing and staring into space while I fed everyone mealworms. She usually goes ballistic. I noticed bright green soft poo near her. I brought her into the porch quarantine. She isn't eating and barely drinks. She pooped a few more soft, bright green poops in the clink.

I took her outside for a walk yesterday and when I picked her up, brown fluid poured from her beak (presumably from her crop) and I tipped her down a few times and she seemed to feel a bit better and even said bok bok for the first time in 24 hours. This morning, same thing, more brown fluid but not as much. Crop is still big and squishy. Please help! I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow if she hasn't improved by this afternoon.

So sorry for your little bird. I'd take her to the vet, along with a fecal sample. In the meantime, some probiotics and electrolytes, and massage the crop several times a day. If she improves today, still take in a fecal sample to be sure. It can give you all sorts of information about what's going on. It could be something with a simple fix, or more serious. I'm not an expert, and I've learned the best way to go is a veterinarian. Especially if you're lucky enough to have one that will see chickens.

Thank you. I have tried to massage it and she doesn't resist anything I am trying with her. She is usually so bossy and aloof...that's how I know she feels badly...she lets me pet her. Poor girl. I have clean water and a small slice of seedless watermelon for her to hydrate. Unfortunately I'm at work all day and won't see her until after 4pm. My husband will be home earlier to check her.

Back
Top Bottom