"soft" diet

Mudsow

Songster
10 Years
Aug 6, 2009
Is fresh from the cob corn considered part of a "soft" diet? I have a hen with an impacted crop, awaiting tomorrow's sugery to remove whatever it is. She is still wanting to eat some soft foods (she is very thin) and they are at least getting past the blockage somewhat, she is pooping. Does fresh corn fall into the category of soft? she really likes it and keeping her eating is important.

Mudsow

Hmmm, I'm going to say no to corn.

Try taking some of her feed and adding water and mashing it up into a paste. That's what I've done for my girls when they weren't feeling well. I'll even mash up a banana and put it in there. And she really seems to want to eat it off my finger when she isn't feeling well. I'll lay down and get at her level and give her small bits off my finger tips.

It's a great way to use up the dust at the bottom of the feed bag. And when she's feeling better, you can mix in sunflower seeds or meal worms and put it out for them. My girls go crazy for it.

Ok, I guess I'll hold off on the corn. Keep with the scrambled eggs, yogurt and food paste. Thanks, I was just wondering since it seems "soft" but I guess the hulls need more digesting huh?
Mudsow

Back
Top Bottom