Soft dimpled shells

amywander

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 4, 2014
Hello,

I'm new to BYC and thought I'd ask why do some of my chicken's eggs occasionally dimple and the shell feels soft. Do they need a supplement? My chickens free range all day in my 1/4 acre backyard. They have their feed and water in the hen house. They eat bugs, grass and scrap veggies and fruit. They also have fresh water in the yard.

Hi I 2 hens and one of them lays soft egg with dimples on it. I suggest feed them more calcium for there soft shells like oyster shells or plain yoghurt. For the dimples I don't know how old are your birds? mine are still young that's why I thought they had dimples on them until they get into the full flow of laying.

Thanks for the info. My gals are 1 year 3 months and have been laying regularly since they were about five months old with no problems. As they have gotten older their eggs are getting bigger.

I went to Tractor Supply today and purchased a "Flock Block" which is loaded with nutrients for the gals. I also purchased oyster shell for calcium. I add this to their feed.

Hello,

I'm new to BYC and thought I'd ask why do some of my chicken's eggs occasionally dimple and the shell feels soft. Do they need a supplement? My chickens free range all day in my 1/4 acre backyard. They have their feed and water in the hen house. They eat bugs, grass and scrap veggies and fruit. They also have fresh water in the yard.
What kind of 'feed' are you providing?

Thanks. I bought them a "Flock Block" which is loaded with nutrients as well.

Flock Block is kinda like junk food for chickens.....meant to be a treat or can be a distraction in crowded wintertime spaces to curb behavioral problems

I would suggest a higher protein crumble, like Purina Flock Raiser (20% protein) and offer the oyster shell separately on the side for their calcium needs.

Back
Top Bottom