Mature Silkie laying soft shell eggs multiple times a week

ChristinaMc86

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2022
New York
I have a two year old silkie who has been laying soft shelled eggs now for a few months, she will lay some normal eggs, but the shells always seem on the thinner side compared to my other chickens. They have access to plenty of calcium. So I don’t believe that’s the issue. If anyone has some recommendations or has dealt with this before, can you please let me know? She’s not showing any signs of illness but occasionally has a little bit of diarrhea. Anyway, your thoughts, advice and comments are appreciated!

They have access to plenty of calcium. So I don’t believe that’s the issue. If anyone has some recommendations or has dealt with this before, can you please let me know?
What is plenty of Calcium and what do you feed, including treats?

If you've not tried giving her Extra Calcium for a week to see if the shell quality improves, then I would try it. Give 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet daily for a week. Just pop the pill directly into the beak.
IF the shell quality improves, then Calcium difficiency is the problem. If it doesn't, then it may be a shell gland defect, reproductive problem, parasites, underlying illness/condition, etc.

Back
Top Bottom