soft egg at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cary 1973, Oct 9, 2012.

1. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

ok so my 6 monthold Buff orphington about month ago started to lay eggs we got 2 good eggs out of her and then on the 3rd day she dropped her egg at night whiile on the root and has done so every day senice.

My ? do you think it would help if I brough her in at night under brigh light to see if i can keep her from dropping her egg and then the next am maybe it will be in her egg shoot long enough to get a shell? any Ideas on what I can do to turn this egg maker into a real egg maker.

2. cary 1973

anyone out there have any luck iwth this kind of a situation

3. Lotusbud

Lotusbud Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    Central Maine
    Is the problem that she is laying an egg while up on the roost? You also mentioned something about no shells. Is she just dropping shell-less yolks on the floor under the roost? First, I would make sure she is being fed 'layer feed' as opposed to chick starter feed or pullet grower feed. Layer feed has more calcium in it to support shell growth. If she is still eating grower feed you could mix in some ground oyster shells (you can buy this in a feed store).

Second, I would try putting a golf ball or plastic easter egg in your nesting spot to try to encourage her to lay there. If she keeps dropping eggs from the roost, I guess I would remove the roost for a few days? Not sure how to best handle that situation. Hopefully someone more seasoned than I can give you good advice on that. Good luck!

4. cary 1973

she is on layer feed plus apple cider vinger in water she get yogart with her layer feed in it my other 3 are laying just fine but her she up on the roost when teh lights go out she drops a soft shelled egg it falls and bust open. if she could leave it in there for a few more hours and lay the dam egg when she lays in her nesting spot in the am it would be a good egg but ya she comes out in the moring and lays down in her nesting spot for about hour gets up sings her laying song but no egg then that nigh plop its on the poop board under the roosting spot this goes on every stinking day and if she layed with with a shell it would be some big eggs so that makes me even sader [​IMG]

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    A few soft shell eggs are normal for new layers. How many nights has it been? If it has only been a few then I don't think it is abnormal.

Is there no shell at all or just a very thin shell that is breaking on impact?

If the problem continues to be on-going it is likely either a dietary problem or a calcium absorption problem. How long has she been on layer feed? Are you giving them lots of snacks? Is it just a little yogurt here and there or are you always mixing it?

6. cary 1973

its been going on for a month now I would say about 20 eggs now they have the soft rubber shell, the other 3 chickens are laying very good hard shell eggs and they all eat the same. like I said her first 2 were good and then after that it turned into rubber eggs dropped at night

7. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Try offering oyster shell free choice. If she needs more calcium she will eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by