Soft egg in old hen

Yes. Amoxy and calcium is probably going to be a regular item in her future. Sigh. And D3 2000mcg is okay to give with the calcium tablet. The difference between 1000 and 2000mcg for the short term is not going to be a concern.

If you're lucky these old biddies of yours will get this egg compulsion over with after a couple of sad tries at egg laying into their dotage. With my elderly layer, she seems to catch spring fever every year and heads to the nest over a period of a few weeks and tries to show what she can still do. Last spring she laid a perfect egg. Then a week later, she had one stuck inside with the yolk broken and even decided to have a prolapse for good measure that took nine days to resolve. So far, this season, she appears to have given up on this foolishness. I have my fingers crossed.
Alright so i will start with calcium and 2000 mcg D3 and amoxicillin but with the amoxicillin spaced out.
My Eddie continuously lays eggs until she gets a soft shell so sadly i dont think she is stopping soon. She acts like a normal layer!
rihanna only occasionally poops out the yolk so hopefully your right and she will not want to lay eggs anymore.
I hope your hen doesn’t want to impress you with her egg laying ability this spring!

Alright so a little update:
When I got home yesterday I I picked eddie up and saw she had egg yoke on her face. I went to her egg laying spot and saw she crushed her egg and ate it apparently. The shell was extremely crushed but it seemed to be a hard shell. So not sure if this is good or bad but she might be getting back to laying normal eggs.

Alright so an update:
Eddie is back to normal, she is laying normal eggs. Rihanna on the other hand is still having her yolk with a soft shell on the side. I have been giving amoxicillin and calcium but I don’t think she will ever lay a normal egg. She doesn’t do it every night but I would think she would be laying normal eggs by now. What could be causing this?

So I think she will be joining the club...
She is getting worse. Tonight I was gone and I just went out there and she pooped a yolk and when I saw her she was straining and I realized it was to get the egg shell out. I did have to assist her in pulling it out because of how long it was but I don’t know what to do. She seems to be getting worse and the shell came out like a string, not egg shaped.

Back
Top Bottom