1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Soft egg laying under roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by deacons, Oct 23, 2013.

1. cmerk

cmerk Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2013
    Indiana
    [​IMG]
    This has only happened once. The girls give us 7 eggs a day

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  2. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013

3. bellschick

bellschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2013
    A few of mine did that. Its like an oopsy egg. It will straighten out.

4. dartfreak75

dartfreak75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    Yea I had the same problem I got three soft ones under the roost then I got one semi soft one after that iv had no problem

5. weasel killer

weasel killer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Oyster shells and sand will help bunches oyster shells for the shells and sand to help grind it up.Makes a world of difference

6. lbrykowski2011

lbrykowski2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2013
    Capac, Mi
    I save my egg shells in a bowl and when it's full, i cook em in microwave for a few mins and put out for them. They love it better than oyster shells. I stlil have oyster shells for when I'm out of egg shells, but it almost works perfect.

7. supdike122

supdike122 New Egg

May 9, 2013
    Danville, KY
    No, I am not seeing any signs of respiratory distress. All my hens are healthy sounding and looking and acting. Don't know what the deal is. I read that you are supposed to "cull" the hens from the flock when they are persistently laying rubber eggs. Don't know how we can figure out who it is. Guess I can install a nesting box cam.... yeah, right.

8. Denicer

Denicer New Egg

Jul 19, 2013
    I'm a novice at raising chickens.When my pullets at 5 months layed a few soft shells. I added oyster shells in their feed container. Not a lot just "peppered".
    I decided to try this method. Putting it directly in the coop it was getting knocked over, or dirt kicked into it and I couldn't tell if they consumed it or not. Since that time the shell are very strong. I have six hens.

9. Frankie Ruiz

Frankie Ruiz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    Long Island, New York
    Your chickens are low on calcium... Get some oyster shells or calcium chips from your local feed store and feed it to the chickens and the problem will fix itself within a few days.

10. weasel killer

weasel killer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Just younguns starting to lay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by