Soft egg laying under roost

We had the same thing today! 2 soft eggs under the roost. I bet we have a one about to get started. So exciting. :)

Sometimes when i get rubber eggs or soft shelled eggs ( even from my older hens) i give them a good helping of calcium carbonate. Since it is to small for them to actual eat willingly i mix it with left over dinner. Sometimes oyster shell just isn't enough. You can find it at most feed stores in the central mountain states. This seems to stop the problem within a couple days.

I have 6 young laying hens. My leghorn, Peggy gave me a rubber egg one day. I found out that is very painful for a hen to lay an egg without shell. She only did this once.
I feed my young girls the best food. I also read that if it happens once but not very often you should not worry. My poor girl. I actually caught her laying the
rubber egg on the lawn.

I'm getting wrinkled eggs from at least two of my hens. I read that this could be to a calcium deficiency. I put out oyster shells as part of their regular diet. they are free range in the backyard and we give them table scraps too. Their feed is layer crumbles and cracked corn. I also read that a calcium deficiency can be caused by an imbalance of potassium and calcium. Somehow the amount of potassium available in the chicken's system affects the uptake of calcium.

What are your thoughts on this? I just want my hens to be healthy and I'm worried something my be wrong with them.

Hi

Give it some time. Don't worry too much for now. I know how you feel. If you know you giving them all the right foods with balance than nature takes its course. I keep eye on my
girls and give them carrots and fresh vegetables all the time with corn and a good balanced layer crumble. I would suggest to just keep track of how many you get. Let me say my Rosie had
problems getting off the perch when she was 5 months and I ran her to the vet for a physical. I thought something was wrong with her leg. I even had an x-ray. She was fine. It took a few days of indoor hanging out with me. My Rosie is laying and loving life. :0)

One of my granddaughter found our first soft egg today. it was on the coop floor away from the nesting boxes. we have twelve ladies most of them started molting a couple months ago and quit laying. So i'm uncertain if this means one is going to start in again or if it one of the others.

have you tried giving them (grit) it also helps them to produce better eggs and with the Oster shells this is what I have given mine and now they are doing great.

perhaps its a beginning of them starting to lay again ?? I have found, a high protein and also giving them grit helps their egg shells better...

Back
Top Bottom