Soft Egg with Red Mass

ray6082

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
South Western PA
Hi everyone!!

One of my Golden Buffs laid a soft egg and with it was a reddish colored mass. I should have taken a picture, but when I scooped it out it got covered in bedding so wasn’t identifiable after that.

Back story—she’s going to be 3 in a few months. She always laid regularly with LARGE brown eggs up until probably 4 or 5 months ago. I hadn’t noticed any change in behavior (thought it might have been because one of her friends passed). I started noticing her acting funny off and on (puffed up) but then as I would regularly check on her she would be fine again.

The other day when I let them out, she was in a nesting box. It was weird since she hadn’t laid for a while. Well, she wasn’t passing anything and saw her pumping like she was trying to push. I checked and didn’t feel anything but soaked her in a warm Epsom salt bath anyways. The next morning she had laid the soft egg with the red mass (I had her in the garage for a bit but thought if she was going to pass the egg she had a better shot of doing it where she was comfy). Anyways, she’s been acting totally normal ever since and I’ve looked up pictures of lash eggs and it doesn’t seem like that’s what it was. However, very well could have been. Basically, trying to prepare myself for the worst if it’s an ongoing condition. I feel if so, her not laying may have been from salpingitis .

If so, this isn’t contagious right? I keep my coops clean, use ACV in the water, etc.

It doesn’t sound like a lash egg, but an abnormal egg. Did you cut it in half to see the contents? Hopefully it is just a one time problem, but I would watch her eggs in the future, or look for signs of illness. This could have been some sort of blood vessel that had burst in the oviduct and incorporated inside the egg, but it would have been good to have seen a picture.

It doesn’t sound like a lash egg, but an abnormal egg. Did you cut it in half to see the contents? Hopefully it is just a one time problem, but I would watch her eggs in the future, or look for signs of illness. This could have been some sort of blood vessel that had burst in the oviduct and incorporated inside the egg, but it would have been good to have seen a picture.
Here’s a not so good picture….the color is reddish not pale yellow like all the lash eggs I’ve seen. Plus, there was a yolk and whites with a soft shell (it had already busted open)

Attachments

• 454CC3F0-0DE9-47FD-9A28-AA8371B70572.jpeg
    454CC3F0-0DE9-47FD-9A28-AA8371B70572.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 85ABEDC1-EF18-4C22-9E9B-99082F673D31.jpeg
    85ABEDC1-EF18-4C22-9E9B-99082F673D31.jpeg
    444.9 KB · Views: 10
Hard to tell if that is lash material or not, but some can appear pinkish to flesh color. I would just observe for any more, watch her to see if she is lethargic or sick, and consider antibiotics if you think she has salpingitis.

Back
Top Bottom