Soft egg

Stino12

Chirping
Aug 30, 2020
Newcastle NSW Australia
Hey guys,

I know this has been asked a million times but just wondering about eggs. So Nan has been laying rough eggs for about a week. I went away for 2 days and I came home to this soft egg (it was busted when I got home). My other hen Gertie has just started laying rough eggs.

So I guess what I'm wondering is could this be from stress? 5 days ago I tried to join them with another hen who has 6 seven week old babes. 4 days ago I started oiling them for scaly leg mites. They absolutely have enough calcium, they eat layer pellets, they have oyster shell available, and I roughly crush their egg shells which they eat so it can't be a lack of calcium.. 🤔

Any tips?

Attachments

• 20200919_182113.jpg
    20200919_182113.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200919_181620.jpg
    20200919_181620.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
So I guess what I'm wondering is could this be from stress? 5 days ago I tried to join them with another hen who has 6 seven week old babes.
Stress could definitely be a factor.
So how did that integration go?

They absolutely have enough calcium
Good shells need more than just calcium.
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
How old are these birds, on months?

Oh, and......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1600522899710.png

I actually have no idea how old these two are. The last owner wouldn't respond to me after I got them and I forgot to ask beforehand 😅 We're in Australia! So it just became spring. The chickens have been out in the yard together for a few weeks (they do not socialize with mum and bubs and seem to push them out of the yard because mum is scared of them) but these two are at the top of the pecking order and I seperated them again when I found the mites. They were keeping the other chickens away from themselves anyway so it didn't seem to be an issue. They get layer pellets, fruit and veg every day and I give them some sneaky mealworms once in a while and theyre free range. They've been eating a lot of snails lately 🤔

Might cut back on the fruit and veg......and put out some Oyster Shell in a separate feeder.
I got home late one day and the two hens had gone back to the other coop with mum and bubs, so maybe they actually prefer to be together? Who knows with this lot. So I've admitted defeat and I'll just have to oil every chicken everyday for the mites 😅

Back
Top Bottom