Soft eggs after molting

tbecker826

Chirping
Aug 7, 2020
Can someone tell me if it is normal for a 3 year old hen to lay a soft egg after molting. It is also still cold in MO and it's still gets dark by 6PM. She started to lay again and the first 4 were ok now she laid a soft egg while roosting at night. I have 4 other hens and none of them have started to lay yet. The freeloaders are all on winter break still. They are on Purina Layena and Omega-3 Layer Laying Poultry Feed. I leave out grit and used crushed eggshells cause they refuse to eat oyster shells. Any info would be great. Thank you

Can someone tell me if it is normal for a 3 year old hen to lay a soft egg after molting. It is also still cold in MO and it's still gets dark by 6PM. She started to lay again and the first 4 were ok now she laid a soft egg while roosting at night. I have 4 other hens and none of them have started to lay yet. The freeloaders are all on winter break still. They are on Purina Layena and Omega-3 Layer Laying Poultry Feed. I leave out grit and used crushed eggshells cause they refuse to eat oyster shells. Any info would be great. Thank you
When that happened to one of my flock I added in lots of oyster shell it corrected itself. I believe the making new feathers annually drains their system of calcium and causes soft shells.

Back
Top Bottom