Soft eggs, falling out at random????

rubysmom

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Oregon
Help. My 3 hens have been laying for about 3 weeks. One of them laid a soft shelled egg in the run her first time. They've all been laying almost an egg a day since and always in the nest box.
3 days ago my hens all ran out into the yard in the afternoon and a soft shelled egg kinda just fell out of my Production Red hen?
Next day she didn't lay an egg and then the next day she laid a normal egg. Now, last night someone laid another soft egg while they were roosting? Fell out underneath the roost and I found it this morning. I'm assuming it was the same hen.

What is going on? Should I be worried? I know the soft shell thing happens but why are they coming out at such odd moments. They have been very regular with their laying so far. ALWAYS in the morning and AlWAYS in the nest box.

They are on organic feed and I do have oyster shell available all the time.

What should I do??????

Claudia

Does this have anything to do with being egg bound? Seems like she's more "loose" then bound? I just wouldn't want anything to happen to her.
Thanks

So actually after I looked closer there were two soft shelled eggs under my roost this morning? Now she's in the nest box trying to lay another egg? Do I need to take her to a vet? How many eggs can a chicken lay in a day?

Anybody???

I am no expert but I have had the soft shelled eggs in the nest and under the roost. My chickens were ok. I did not do anything except make sure that they had oyster shell where they could get to it.

I had it explained (and this may be wrong) that sometimes, they just get ahead of themselves.

The main thing, is that I wanted to re assure you that I have real good layers that lay every day for the most part and they have done the very same thing. They are healthy and fine.

Ellie

Thanks so much Ellie. They do seem perfectly happy and healthy. They have also been laying great up until now? All three have been laying an egg pretty much everyday.
I am starting to think that it might be happening with 2 of my hens. I found two soft eggs today and then one of my chickens laid a regular egg and the other two both sat in the nest box for 45min-an hour but no eggs?

Back
Top Bottom