Soft eggs in young quail - with pictures

Ok. I'll put the cuttlebone in the cage for now and start looking for more options. I'll put them calcium on the side from now on.

Don't you think tho it's a bit weird 4 eggs in less than 2 days if they all came from the white quail? The first two eggs have very good shells. Maybe she expelled those other two while they were still forming?
It's not that unusual. New layers often take a while to get things right. Every bird is different, just like people. Some may need more calcium than others.

Last edited:
I'd get some calcium citrate, either liquid or the powder gel capsules will work....and work much faster than anything else to increase their calcium intake immediately.
You can find it in the pharmaceutical isle at WalMart or other grocery stores or Walgreens, CVS etc...

Ok. I'll put the cuttlebone in the cage for now and start looking for more options. I'll put them calcium on the side from now on.

Don't you think tho it's a bit weird 4 eggs in less than 2 days if they all came from the white quail? The first two eggs have very good shells. Maybe she expelled those other two while they were still forming?
As soon as 1 egg is layed, another ovum is being released, it takes on average 24 hours between eggs being layed. They can delay laying if they are under stress, or predators are about...most likely it's just because they are just starting to lay. If it continues, then there is likely to be some reproductive issues that will need to be addressed.

It's not that unusual. New layers often take a while to get things right. Every bird is different, just like people. Some may need more calcium than others.
Yes, what I meant is I think that's why they came without a shell. Even tho I'm gonna provide calcium on the side because they need it regardless of having the issue and just in case, but I think the problem probably was her expelling them before they were ready. Because the others had a good shell.
That's why I said in the post I thought it may be because they're still young. So provide calcium, give it a couple weeks and see.

I'd get some calcium citrate, either liquid or the powder gel capsules will work....and work much faster than anything else to increase their calcium intake immediately.
You can find it in the pharmaceutical isle at WalMart or other grocery stores or Walgreens, CVS etc...
Ok. I live in Spain so I can't find any of those. But I'll ask in the pharmacy and in the feed stores. Probably at the end I'll just find the oyster shells tho.

Thanks for the tip for quick absorption. Can it be bad tho if they don't need so much? How do you give it to them?

For a quick option:
Go cook an egg for yourself to eat (from the store, or from any other source).
Break the shell into pieces a quail could swallow (Maybe squish it with a fork or with your fingers. It doesn't have to be perfect.)
Put the eggshell pieces in the quail cage.
Repeat any time they run out.

That will provide one source of calcium, while you figure out what will work best as a long-term solution for you.

With the cuttlebone, it is a big hard piece. They would have to scrape it off or break it off. With broken eggshells, or crushed oystershells, they can swallow one little piece at a time, so it is easy for them to get more of it.

Cuttlebone may work for some kinds of birds: there are different styles of beaks, different amounts of strength, and different calcium needs. A chicken or quail that lays an egg almost every day will have very different calcium needs than a penguin that lays a single egg once a year. Most other birds are somewhere between those extremes.

Last edited:
What kind of dish do you use for holding your side calcium supplement? I provided crushed eggshells but the hens are making quick work of walking in it and knocking the dish over etc.
I have solved this by laying the crushed eggshells on top of the surface of my raised waterer platform (brick), so they can reach it just outside the ring of water. They love the eggshell grit and there is no more walking on, kicking it, or spilling it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom