Soft eggs

tfam

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2019
We have 10 26-week old hens (several breeds). About 6 have been laying consistently for about 5 weeks and the others have been laying for about 3-4 weeks. We cannot for the life of us, figure out which hen is laying soft eggs. Last week one hen laid two soft eggs in a 30 min timeframe while free ranging. Today we found another 2 on the bottom of the coop. All seem healthy, no new stressors that we’ve noticed. We feed payback organic laying pellets, and have oyster shell in a separate feeder. Is this just their systems working out the kinks or should we be worried?

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
We have 10 26-week old hens (several breeds). About 6 have been laying consistently for about 5 weeks and the others have been laying for about 3-4 weeks. We cannot for the life of us, figure out which hen is laying soft eggs. Last week one hen laid two soft eggs in a 30 min timeframe while free ranging. Today we found another 2 on the bottom of the coop. All seem healthy, no new stressors that we’ve noticed. We feed payback organic laying pellets, and have oyster shell in a separate feeder. Is this just their systems working out the kinks or should we be worried?
Welcome to BYC!
I would say that it is immature reproductive systems that need to work out the kinks.
However, it is a good idea to spread a handful of oyster shell out with some scratch to encourage consumption.

tfam

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2019
Welcome to BYC!
I would say that it is immature reproductive systems that need to work out the kinks.
However, it is a good idea to spread a handful of oyster shell out with some scratch to encourage consumption.

That’s what we are hoping, thanks!

Top Bottom