soft eggs

gallina man

Songster
9 Years
Jan 27, 2010
went out to get eggs i have been getting 6 eggs from 6 rsl the last ten days there was four eggs inside the nests and 2 just under the roost they where very soft shells they are on laying pellets they are about 7 months old is it because they are still young birds or do i need to do something like oyster shell i am very new to this this is my first problem so any info welcome thanks

Most likely it's because they're newer layers. But it's always a safe bet to keep a little dish of oyster shell out for them for when they want it. Two of mine went through those issues for about 2-3 weeks on and off when they first started laying. Laying off scraps and treats for a week or so can help too, as if forces them to fill up on their layer feed.

I have one hen that only lays this type of egg. I did some research and it seems they are also called rubber eggs, or as my husband calls them paper eggs. It seems that normal chickens lay one every so often when they are new layers. One of my Barred Rock hens just turned a year old and only lays this type of egg. I get one about every two weeks from her. I know I should cull her, but she is my pet, so she is safe with me!
wink.png
I do have a container of oyster shell and another of grit available at all times and feed organic layer pellets.

are your hens allowed sunlight they need vitamin D to process the calcium in the oyster shell. it can be a genetic problem too. layer pellets have shell in them extra is not going to help alot.

Back
Top Bottom