Soft Eggs

84097newbei

Chirping
7 Years
May 15, 2012
My girls have started to lay. They r all 26 wks. First day one egg, next none. We went along like that for about 2 1/2 wks. Yesterday 5 eggs! Today, 2 soft shelled broken eggs. What could this mean? They have been on laying feed for 2 months and of course get fresh everything daily. The nights here have been in the mid 40's and low 50's. Is it time for a heat source at night?

I had the same problem when mine first started laying except it was not getting cold at night. I researched here and found out they may need more calcium in there diet. I went to the feed and seed store and talked to them about what wss going on and they said the same thing. I got a 50lb bag of crushed oyster shells and keep a feeder full of them. No more soft or thin eggs. There has been a lot of talk on here about heating your coop, and I for one will not be heating this winter. My coop is attached to the barn and do not want to loose eather to a fire.

The first while after they start laying is often a time when the kinks are getting worked out of their systems. It usually resolves itself after a little while. As Rwest said, you'll want to give them a calcium supplement...making shells takes a lot of it and their bodies need it too. When we got ours, we got a small bag of oyster shell. We attached small cans to the posts of our coop and keep one filled with oyster shell and the other with grit. They are amazing at knowing what they need. We keep the cans topped off so they can take what they need. I also save all the shells from our own eggs. Once the oyster shell is gone, I'll grind the shells fairly finely (not powder) and feed it back to them...calcium recycling at its best, LOL.

Yup! What both of the PP said. Making sure youa re feeding a good quality layers pellet. keeping a supply of oyster shell and feeding back the eggshells are great ways to help. But, also it's a growing thing. Young pullets need time to work the kinks out. It'll drive ya nuts, too!

Good luck!

Just wanted to say Thank You for the good info. Feed store agreed and they are now on crushed oyster shell. We'll see what happens..
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom