Soft eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rubberduckies, Jul 26, 2013.

1. rubberduckies

rubberduckies Chirping

Feb 9, 2013
    Kentucky
    One of my ducks started laying last week. Her eggs have been perfect and I'm waiting for the other girls to start laying. They've been getting layer feed for a while now. A couple of days ago I hurt my knee and haven't been able to walk so I asked my SO to feed them for me. My 6-year-old likes to collect the eggs so this morning he went out to get the egg and when he came back in he told me that there were two busted eggs. I hobbled my way outside and found out that SO has not been feeding them! (I'll just let you imagine my anger). I did find the two eggs and they had a very thin shell and had been busted. With the help of my 6-year-old I got them food and water. Do you think the eggs were like that because they haven't been getting the food with calcium for a couple days? The eggs from the one who was laying have had thick shells for the past week. How long will it take for the eggs to have normal shells again? I'm worried about an egg getting stuck on the way out because its so soft. Thanks for any advice you have. I'm worried about my girls. And I will not be depending in SO to take care of them from now on. :/

2. Islandducklady

Islandducklady Hatching

Jul 26, 2013
    I am anxiously waiting to see if my "boys" will start laying eggs. They are 90 days or 12 weeks old. How old is your laying hen duck? I am sorry you are concerned about the "soft" eggs - I think you need more calcium in their diet maybe, but just guessing.

3. rubberduckies

rubberduckies Chirping

Feb 9, 2013
    Kentucky
    They are 22.5 weeks old. They seemed to have plenty of calcium. Like I said, the eggs were perfect with hard shells and they are fed layer feed. Until my SO didn't feed them for a couple of days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: