soft eggs

Lindsaym

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
black hawk, co
My hens are right at 6 months old. They have just started laying there first eggs. I have noticed a few of the eggs have very very soft shells.I am feeding them Nutrena layer feed. The guy at the store said I didn't need any type of additives since it was a complete diet for my hens. Is he wrong? Is this a poor diet for them? I really want them to be healthy but I also want delicious healthy eggs!

I always put some oyster shells in with the feed. And give them crushed up eggs shells. One season I had hard shells with all but two hens eggs. I know because they were white eggs. For the first couple years those hens eggs were always fragile and thin. But my Brown and green eggs had hard shells. ..go figure...

It's not unusual for new layers to pass a few thin shelled or shelless eggs during the first month or so of laying.

Layer feed has enough calcium for good shells....... tho I like feed an 'all flock' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I have calcium available at all times for the layers, oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container. The higher protein crumble offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

Back
Top Bottom