Soft Enlarged abdomen

Chickenator123

Hatching
Oct 22, 2020
Hi all,
Our oldest bird has developed a soft swollen abdomen this week. She was perfectly normal last I picked her up around 5th Jan (haven’t had much chance to see them since apart from husbandry).

She is around 7 years old, hasn’t been laying for about a year. Lives with two other younger birds who are perfectly healthy. Water is replaced every other day and coop cleaned weekly. Pellets in ready supply in the feeder and they’re given a handful of corn each day. I haven’t let them out from their run recently due to bird flu warnings in my area.

For a while now I’ve noticed she likes drinking lots of water, so I’ve suspected liver problems. She displays no other common symptoms of ascites such as fluffed feathers, blue comb, lethargy, laboured breathing etc and seems in normal spirits and is as cheeky as ever. The swelling is mainly just behind her legs and bottom most point of the abdomen.

Any ideas on what this could be if not ascites, or ways I could help her out/improve her condition? I’d love to let them loose to get exercise and more natural diets but I don’t want to risk them getting the flu! Maybe I’m overreacting and she got fat over Xmas like me!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom