Soft jelly like egg

NewBostonChick

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
New Boston, NH
Hello, In the last 2 days I have found a soft jelly like egg in the nesting box.. It is almost like a squishy bouncy ball.. What is this all about? My hens have all been laying normal eggs, have access to oyster shells, grit, layer feed, etc.. Thanks for your replies....

Hello, In the last 2 days I have found a soft jelly like egg in the nesting box.. It is almost like a squishy bouncy ball.. What is this all about? My hens have all been laying normal eggs, have access to oyster shells, grit, layer feed, etc.. Thanks for your replies....
Don't worry. It'll work out. One of your girls has a glitch in the egg conveyor belt. The egg is passing through her system without stopping for the application of the shell. I have a BSL who alternated "rubber" eggs with normal eggs. She sometimes laid one normal egg, often a double yolker, followed by 2 rubber eggs later in the day. Her rubber eggs were always dropped outside of the nest box. If you can get to these eggs before the girls discover them and eat them, you can cook them up to give them to the chickens extra protein. I wouldn't eat them, as without a shell, they are at risk of bacterial contamination.

Back
Top Bottom