Soft/multiple broken eggs

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
I posted the other day about getting our first egg and oyster shell! I’ve since given them shell! One pullet seems to be the only laying yet (they’re all the same age, 20 weeks). She had laid Sunday, Monday and Tuesday but nothing yesterday, and all good hard eggs. I know their bodies are still getting in the swing of things (I’m assuming?!) but this morning when I went out there are two soft eggs (one broke) and on their poop board. All the other eggs have been laid in the nesting box(s). What happened?! Do they just slide out when they’re that soft? How do I get her to eat more oyster shell? Is two normal if she hadn’t laid the day before?

Sorry! This is all new to me! Thank you!

Attachments

• 6DCBF75D-D300-4FC6-A214-E6A1E7BA47A4.jpeg
    6DCBF75D-D300-4FC6-A214-E6A1E7BA47A4.jpeg
    764.3 KB · Views: 5
First,,,, chickens are not machines, so don't expect eggs like clockwork.
Your chickens are just getting started in laying, so YES,,,,, things do need to normalize. The eggs not in a nesting box can have 2 scenarios. Chickens did not learn to use nesting yet, ,,, or these were night time egg drops from roost. Another factor in egg laying not IDEAL are the high temps of summer.

What do you feed your chickens.?? Generally if you use a Layer feed. there is sufficient calcium in it to produce eggs. 4% calcium. If you do provide additional feed such as scratch, (which chickens:drool:drool:droolBTW) that decreases the calcium intake percentage in total diet intake. That is where Cracked Oyster Shells come to play. I offer my chickens this free-choice. That does not mean that all chickens automatically will seek out the Fee-choice shells. :idunno You can add some of those shells into their feed, like a tablespoon full into feed bowl. Chickens may pick some of it up. but much will be left behind in empty feed bowl. Just keep adding feed to the remaining shells, and chickens will consume the shells in due time. They will not OVER DOSE on calcium when offered in such a way. Keep a bowl of just shells free-choice also.
Ask anything else you are not sure/familiar about. :thumbsup
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

Back
Top Bottom