Soft Poops and Rough Eggs

applehen26

In the Brooder
Dec 16, 2022
Hi everyone! I am pretty new to backyard chickens, so I’m trying to learn as much as I can. I have 4 hens (2 Barred Rocks, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Black Sex Link) that I raised from chicks starting back in June. They are about 8 months old. Three of the hens have started laying within the last couple months. I transitioned all of them to Purina Layena feed a couple months ago.

I have recently noticed that the Black Sex Link, who I’ve named Midnight, has exclusively been having soft poops for about a week now. They aren’t completely liquid — they look somewhat like cowpies. I also noticed that she has recently been laying eggs with a rough texture/raised purple-ish spots. I have attached photos of the poops and egg.

She is acting completely normal otherwise — eating, drinking, scratching around doing normal chicken stuff. The other hens are doing fine and have normal eggs and solid poops. I read that it could be caused by excess calcium in their diet, but if this is the case, why aren’t the other hens having the same issue? I will continue to monitor her, but I am wondering if someone here could help me get to the bottom of this. I don’t want to overlook something in case this could be serious.

Please let me know if you need any more information to help me figure this out.

Thanks!

Attachments

• B9EAAF50-0ACB-45B5-8EB1-F3FDACBF4071.jpeg
    B9EAAF50-0ACB-45B5-8EB1-F3FDACBF4071.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 1C4DD1EB-60FC-4F0B-ADF1-7B18DE748555.jpeg
    1C4DD1EB-60FC-4F0B-ADF1-7B18DE748555.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 3FFC1A97-B948-46C1-817B-6BFEB0586302.jpeg
    3FFC1A97-B948-46C1-817B-6BFEB0586302.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Welcome to BYC. You are right about the rough spots being excess calcium, so it is nothing to worry about. I would see them occasionally from certain hens occasionally. The loose poopmay be that she is drinking more water, but you could get a fecal float done on some fresh droppings. Or you could worm her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and repeat it in 10 days. I would check her crop to make sure that it is filling up during the day, and emptying by the next morning.

Welcome to BYC. You are right about the rough spots being excess calcium, so it is nothing to worry about. I would see them occasionally from certain hens occasionally. The loose poopmay be that she is drinking more water, but you could get a fecal float done on some fresh droppings. Or you could worm her with Valbazen 1/2 ml orally once and repeat it in 10 days. I would check her crop to make sure that it is filling up during the day, and emptying by the next morning.
Thank you for the reply! I feel a lot better knowing what to look for now.

I will look into getting a fecal float/worming her if it doesn’t get better within the next few days. I’ll keep an eye on her crop, too.

Back
Top Bottom