Soft Shell Advice Sought

If it's mites or lice, you can buy front line spray, it's just fipronyl. You'd spray each bird under each wing and near the vent, making sure it comes in contact with the skin.

You'll need to replace bedding and preferably treat the coup/roost/bedding with a permethrin spray or something safe to use around the birds but not ad expensive as the front line.

As for worming, you can do wazine or safeguard, but those dosages you would really need to do a search on BYC and read through the threads to find the best advice. And they will also include some symptoms and maybe you can narrow it down. How's she acting? How's her poop?

Last edited:
Before the vet and humidity chamber, she looked hot and bothered. Stood in a small water puddle I made, eyes closed. Bum red and irritated. Other chickens are hot, but still foraging. After chamber, she laid a soft shell, back to normal, running around, bottom a pink color again. Today, back to red bum, irritated, not as eager to forage.

Fecal matter is mostly small, dark in color. Every once in a while, watery and whitish yellow.

I don't notice any mites or worms, but I guess you never know??

She spent the night in my bathroom, last night crop was full, this morning it had a small quarter round spot that felt like a soft boiled egg. Her bottom is no longer red an irritated, so that's one step in the right direction, but no egg. I also hate to see my water bill (steamed up the room for a while for a good 60% humidity which seemed to help her). I removed all the BOSS from the ferment, and added the Game Bird feed. I was offering dry free choice Game Bird, but figured in this heat, it shouldn't hurt them to up the dose of protein.

Back
Top Bottom