Soft Shell Advice

Plaid Dad

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2023
We have a small flock of Rhode Island Reds. Three hens and a rooster that are a year old. One hen has laid exclusively soft shelled eggs for at least the last 3 or 4 months. It's possible that she's never laid a normal egg but it's difficult to say for sure.

Most days she drops it from the roost. A few days a week she drops one in a nest box.

All hens are on layer pellets with available oyster shell. I've seen this hen eat the oyster shell but not often. We gave her calcium/vitamin D pills every day for a week on two different occasions. No change.

I doubt it's EDS as none of the other birds are having any issues and it's been so long that I'd expect it to have run it's course already.

She's otherwise healthy and active.

At this point I'm thinking it's a physical condition of some sort that she likely won't recover from. Is there anything else it could be?

I have a easter egger that laid her first egg last night that the membrane is thin. It broke. Do chickens lay at night while on the roost? If so, it can break. The other two girls have used the nests. They are about 21-22 weeks old. I give them layer feed and they have calcium and I am finishing off the chick grit.

What should I do? What do you think? Thanks.

I have a easter egger that laid her first egg last night that the membrane is thin. It broke. Do chickens lay at night while on the roost? If so, it can break. The other two girls have used the nests. They are about 21-22 weeks old. I give them layer feed and they have calcium and I am finishing off the chick grit.

The egg laying process is pretty complicated. Sometimes when a pullet first starts to lay it takes a while for her to get all the kinks out of her system. You might get soft shelled or no-shelled eggs, really thick shelled eggs, no yolk, only yolk and no whites, tiny eggs, double yolked eggs, or other strange things. As complicated as the process is it is a bit surprising to me that so many get it correct right from the start.

Part of that process is when and where to lay the egg. There are triggers that tell the pullet or hen when to start the egg through her internal egg making system so it is laid during daylight. Some have control over the egg laying process and can delay laying the egg for a while if they need to. Most handle this correctly from the start but you can occasionally get one that doesn't.

Most pullets straighten this out in a few days. I don't worry about any of this as long as it doesn't go on for longer than two weeks. Then I start looking for a reason this is happening. Often when that happens there is something wrong with the chicken, call it a birth defect.

Over the years I've had maybe two pullets that did not correct these problems, most pretty quickly. That means it is pretty rare. You are lucky in that you know which pullet it is. Sometimes that is hard to figure out. If she persists in laying soft shelled eggs you can try giving her a calcium tablet to see if that corrects the problem. Sometimes it does, sometimes not.

Good luck!

An occasional soft egg does show up, a glitch, but nothing to worry about. But this is not that.

I think that is probably a genetic goof, diet is probably not going to fix it. You can keep her or cull her depending on your preference. I would not be surprised if she might not die suddenly. She may have other genetic mistakes that you have no indication for, they often do.

Mrs k

Normal to see some glitchy eggs from new layers and it's generally not indicative of a long term issue. Soft shelled eggs are harder for chickens to pass so it's not unusual to find them under a roost, for example. If she continues to have thin or unshelled eggs, then you could try supplementing calcium to her directly, but I wouldn't resort to that just yet.

Also they should be on layer/adult grit already, chick grit is simply going to be expelled by their system. Save the chick grit for the next time you have chicks.

An occasional soft egg does show up, a glitch, but nothing to worry about. But this is not that.

I think that is probably a genetic goof, diet is probably not going to fix it. You can keep her or cull her depending on your preference. I would not be surprised if she might not die suddenly. She may have other genetic mistakes that you have no indication for, they often do.
I have a pullet who has passed lash egg material, sometimes lays thin or no shell eggs. I *think* she has laid normal eggs too, but I'm not certain.

I've switched to a high protein (also much higher priced) layer feed, added a third type of calcium for them to use, and I don't think this has "fixed" her. I've given her calcium pills too, but long term that's hard on her kidneys, so it's not the answer either.

I'm resigned to her not being a productive member of the flock, egg-wise, but that's ok, because she's my favorite (of course). I also have no illusions about her living a long life; salpingitis (laying lash eggs) is eventually going to kill her.

She also had coccidiosis when she was about 5 weeks old. I don't know if the two are related. She was the smallest chick, so perhaps she isn't as robust inside as the others.

I'll do the best I can to keep her healthy and happy.

I had an older hybrid hen that laid thin eggs consistently at the end of her laying and I have chickens for eggs so I called her as I was also afraid of her becoming egg bound . Seemed the kindest thing to do for her.

I'm resigned to her not being a productive member of the flock, egg-wise, but that's ok, because she's my favorite (of course). I also have no illusions about her living a long life; salpingitis (laying lash eggs) is eventually going to kill her.
First time seeing something like this:
IMG_0447.jpeg

I think it’s from one of my July-August ‘23 pullets.
Typical egg mass in the flock is 38-45g.

Back
Top Bottom