Soft Shell and eating eggs AAGGGHHH

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mboreham1, Sep 11, 2011.

1. mboreham1

mboreham1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    Ok 2 things

1. 1 chicken only lays eggs with VERY soft shells, i have 11 laying birds, all have unlimited access to oyster shell - anything anyone can suggest to supplement diet to create hard shell? 10 birds lay normal eggs

2.) Egg eating, I lose 6 -8 eggs a week, i have tried EVERYTHING i can think of - wooden eggs in nesting box, mustard in egg shells (They love it) hot sauce in mustard in egg shells, re built nesting boxes with roll away feature but had to add straw to ensure eggs didnt crack when laid. Can anyone suggest anything else? I cant work out whether i have 1 eater or whether a couple of them go at it together

Thanks

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If you add a pad of some sort that the chickens cannot destroy by scratching, the eggs will not crack. Another thing, when the eggs roll out of the nest make sure they are not close enough to the back of the nest for the hens to reach them.....

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My SS refuses to eat oyster shell on her own. I take the powdery shell from the bag and mix it in with wet feed! It works like a charm and all my eggs are nice and hard now.

4. mboreham1

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    i like that, i will mix the powder in, thanks - any ideas on stopping the eating?

5. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    have you tried golf balls?

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I don't have any egg eaters yet. I usually grab the egg as soon as it's laid. My SS announces every single time there is a flock mate of her's just about to lay an egg with a loud and clear egg song.

7. mboreham1

Dec 14, 2009
    Carmichael, CA
    yes to golf balls, wooden eggs, glued together easter eggs!

I work Mon-Fri so going out to collect eggs isnt an option unfortunately

8. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    We were having a problem with this as well. We have been giving the girls a bowl of plain yogurt everyday and feeding their egg shells back to them. Nuke them for a min and then crush them up. They love it way better than oyster shell. I mix them with the oyster shell by the feeder. We haven't had a soft egg in over a week. They have very hard shells now.

9. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Quote:I second above, but just let shells dry w/o nuking. Are the others' shells really nice and thick and hard?

I had a minor problem with a few rubbery, eaten, and cracked eggs when mine started laying. I found a reference at some university extension agency to offer alternative forms of calcium, and they recommended specifically milk. So I did this and within a couple of weeks, no more problems and shells are super hard, long after stopping the milk. I do feed back shells but otherwise just the calcium in the layer feed. I have also read that it is normal for them to "test" egg viability by pecking, and eat the ones that are so weak they crack since they wouldn't make babies anyway. Makes sense to me. Others criticize milk as undigestible by chickens but certainly yogurt, soured milk, etc. is. I saw no problems with mine drinking troughs of straight milk. Good luck!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by