Soft Shell and eggs popped out????

Danielle_N

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2020
Ok so I’m completely clueless. My girl is healthy, eating, drinking and laying daily.
I picked her up to lock her up for the night and POP a soft shell egg pops out??? I’m obviously stunned and then POP another soft shell egg pops out.
I didn’t see how they popped out, but I believe the popped intacted. She was prolapsed after second pop, but as soon as I put her down, she was fine!! Seriously what just happened??? I love my gal, she lays amazing, why?? Egg shell was thin and soft no hardness at all.

Eggs without shells come out before they are ready, generally because of stress, or from a glitch, especially in young layers as the system works out the kinks. Two eggs can happen, but generally both cannot get a shell applied because of the time it takes to apply the shell.

A hen does actually prolapse a bit when they lay an egg. Otherwise the egg would come in contact with fecal matter as everything come out of the cloaca.

What is age and breed of bird?
How long has she been laying?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Other birds laying 'normal' eggs?

She is 1 1/2 years old, mixed breed Brahma/ naked neck, she’s always laid good. She’s laid an egg a day since 22 weeks old. Recently added two chickens to our backyard so that could be the stress. But they are in two different coops.They only see each other opposite a fence.
She eats a “Layer mix“ I buy at my local feed store. She gets into chick start or wild bird seed at times, but mostly she grazes. I also treat her with watermelon:)

I really love this chicken, she’s my best layer and only standard. The other three are bantams

So she's free range, maybe got into something toxic or just not eating enough of the layer to get all the nutrients she needs for good eggs.

The new birds or birds living with your softsheller?
She is living in a coop with her bonded hen pal who’s a bantam. The new chickens are in a separate coop.
I doubt something toxic as my gardens are fenced so she only has access to grass and maple trees. Should I give her anything to boost nutrition??

Should I give her anything to boost nutrition??
Might not be a bad idea.
Just give her some chick starter.
Have Oyster Shells always available in a separate feeder.
If it's hot where you live some Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins would be good.

Back
Top Bottom