Soft shell egg filled with blood

Benechick

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2021
I have a hen that stopped laying, she laid a couple soft shell eggs in the middle of the night while roosting. It's been awhile since she's laid or had a soft shell egg. A couple times I did notice her acting weird. Like walking with her tail feathers down, not eating. But then next day she's fine. I found a small soft shell egg with blood filled in it today. Again must of pushed it out while roosting. What does this mean? I feed a good quality feed, I have oyster shells available.

Attachments

• 20210618_184202.jpg
    20210618_184202.jpg
    829.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 20210618_184255.jpg
    20210618_184255.jpg
    844.9 KB · Views: 49
I have a hen that stopped laying, she laid a couple soft shell eggs in the middle of the night while roosting. It's been awhile since she's laid or had a soft shell egg. A couple times I did notice her acting weird. Like walking with her tail feathers down, not eating. But then next day she's fine. I found a small soft shell egg with blood filled in it today. Again must of pushed it out while roosting. What does this mean? I feed a good quality feed, I have oyster shells available.
Pictures?

I see the pictures, but I don't know what caused this.

A small blood spot or bit of tissue inside an egg happens fairly often, and would be nothing to worry about.
A softshell egg happens sometimes, and is also not a problem as long as it's rare.

But this is a lot more than a little blood spot, so it looks like there might be something wrong inside the hen. But even if there is, I'm afraid I don't know what to do.

Hopefully someone who knows more will come along and offer advice.

Did you cut open the big dark red blob?
It looks like a huge blood clot.
Never seen the likes before.
Hard to say what's going on in there.

The timeline is not clear.
How old is she, in weeks or months?
Did she ever lay 'good' eggs?
When did she stop laying, how many weeks or month ago?

Is her abdomen swollen?

Did you cut open the big dark red blob?
It looks like a huge blood clot.
Never seen the likes before.
Hard to say what's going on in there.

The timeline is not clear.
How old is she, in weeks or months?
Did she ever lay 'good' eggs?
When did she stop laying, how many weeks or month ago?

Is her abdomen swollen?
She will be 3 years old July 15. She use to lay normal eggs. I didnt cut open the red blob but it did resemble a blood clot to me. I noticed the first soft shell egg a couple months ago. I wasn't sure which hen did it. Then I started to pay attention to who was laying and narrow it down to the one. Now it's confirmed who it is because I have two broody hens and the other 2 are a different breed and I know their eggs. So she's definitely the one that stopped laying. A couple times in those months she acted weird. But then she would snap out of it. She seems totally fine right now. Her belly feels normal the last I checked. I forgot she did lay a few regular eggs after she laid her first soft shell egg.

She has now laid 2 normal shelled eggs but when I open them, there is a yolk and a bunch of blood inside. The one had this half inch chunk of something in it also. Now remember a couple months ago I opened 2 eggs with blood. I bet they were hers. I just thought it was because my one chicken laid on them for a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom