soft shell egg questions

It's just a filter that hooks onto the pipe at the wellbefore it goes into the holding tank...I think it's Omni-Filter

Just as a reminder, make sure your chickens have NO access to duck (crumbles) food. I don't know why, but eating the stuff creates a near-instant absence of shell.

I'm not an expert, and it's just a thought, but maybe her body is using the calcium that would usually be covering eggs - to fix her injury. If she was doing ok before, maybe her body is just using her protein and calcium in a different direction while she's healing.

Rosie still hasn't laid an egg since the second soft one ... ok, just 2 days ... but still ....

so, another question: can I eat the soft ones? We refrigerated them immediately.

--janis

I usually feed the soft ones to my dog - or back to the chickens. But if you feel confident that it isn't broken, i guess you could go ahead and eat it. Just be sure nothing has gotten to it.

turns out, DH fed them to the chickens this morning. Excellent communication between husband and wife. haha.
roll.png

I'm thinking it may be normal since she's starting back to laying. It's not unusual to see a soft shelled egg or two from new layers or girls that start back after a molt. With oyster shell and good layer rations available, I'm inclined to think she'll come out of it and return to normal laying.

ETA: Did your BO roo, Barnie, hurt her?

Last edited:
woot.gif
wee.gif

I am happy to report, that she laid one of her prefect, beautiful, HARD shelled aqua colored eggs yesterday.. Her only remaining problem is a tiny limp.. She is almost back to normal. I am one happy chicken momma! Thanks everyone..

Back
Top Bottom