Soft shell eggs even shellless

hensbythesea

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 5, 2009
I have four black stars. They were laying just fine with an occaisional soft egg here and there. Then recently the soft eggs are coming two at a time on the board under perch in the morning. In addition I believe I have another hen laying soft eggs and even without the shell sometimes. I feed laying crumble, oyster shells, greens and roasted shells with yogurt and cottage cheese. All regularly. I have recently added some vitamin D to their water. They free range during the day. I thought perhaps they weren't getting enough feed so I cooped them up and they went nuts. Sqacking all day so the one neighbor two houses down who would rather I not have my girls, complained. I have checked for egg bound. Frankly they are happy as can be. I would just like some good solid eggs. We eat the soft shell ones. Any suggestions??? I have researched this and have no other ideas. Also DE around bathing spots and in the coop. Thank you so,

I was having the same problem. I don't know for sure, but I was assuming egg drop symdrome. The good news is, once they molt, their laying should return to normal.
It could also be that they just aren't eating their oyster shell like they should. I mixed shell directly in with my feed for awhile and that got them eating it again. Try doing that for a couple weeks.
Otherwise, it sounds like you are doing everything right. Maybe cut down on the "treats" so their % of feed is greater.
Hope this helps you.
Egg Drop Syndrome Incubation period 3 to 5 days Duration 4 to 10 weeks
Egg drop syndrome is an infectious disease of laying hens caused by a hemagglutinating adenovirus and characterized by thin shelled and shell less eggs in otherwise healthy birds. The natural hosts for EDS virus are ducks and geese, but has become a problem with chickens of all ages . The disease is most severe in broiler breeders and brown egg layer strains, less so in white egg breeds. EDS was first introduced into chickens through contaminated vaccine. Transmission occurs by any of the conventional methods of disease spread. Infected birds excrete the virus in the feces. Vertical transmission is considered the primary mode of spread. Clinical signs are loss of color in pigmented eggs, followed by thin shelled or shell less eggs. Egg production drops by 40 percent. Virus isolation should be done in duck or goose embryos or cell cultures of duck or goose origin. Harvested allantoic fluid or cell culture should be checked for hemagglutinating activity in chicken RBC . There is no successful treatment . The endemic form in breeders can be controlled by washing and sanitizing incubators and egg trays before reuse. In layers, molting will restore egg production. Prevention is through the control of vertical transmission. Endemic EDS is associated with the egg-packing stations, as contaminated egg trays can be a major factor in spread. Virus is also present in fecal material, so hygienic procedures are required.

Oh thank you so much. I will go out now and integrate the oyster shell with feed. I have lightened up on the treats other than the yummies in the yard. Love the forum.

Quote:
Glad to be of help! I just hope the problem clears up quickly for you. It is so frustrating when you don't know what is wrong.
I love this forum too. There are so many friendly knowledgable people on here that are always willing to lend others a hand. I have learned so much since I have been here.
When my girls had the soft shell problem, I was making them a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast every day, making it with milk and also adding a teaspoon of powdered milk in for even more extra calcium & D. Or I'd soak some day-old bread in milk. They went nuts for that.
You'll have to keep me posted on how your girls are doing.
smile.png

I like the oatmeal idea. Thank you. i have also learned so much from this site from the first day we decided to build our coop. We live in town but have a great back yard. Happy Day after Easter.

Great info, one of my RiR finally started laying.....from a small hard shell egg every day (4days now) to a shell less egg, weird I thought, now my first of 9 chickens 5-6 months old is laying but the eggs are getting worse....I hope it's the hen just trying to get used to laying eggs, since they free range have a mix of scratch, pellets, oyster shell and grit....I have no clue what's going on

Back
Top Bottom