Soft shell eggs everywhere!

Poodlemum

Crowing
Aug 26, 2021
Northern Utah
Yesterday, the hennies had a slow day. No problem, it’s been HOT and I’ve had a broody (or two lol). A nice cool weekend and bumper crop this morning. Everyone was out of the coop, no broodies, looking great. Let them out to free range this evening while we were all outside, my toddler took her dad to check for eggs and I was just outside the run playing with everyone. They didn’t see any eggs and I noticed one of the hens was a bit off. She always seems to struggle first if there’s an issue and I kept an eye on her until I went in. Go out to tuck them in and lock up, last egg check. 13 perfect eggs this morning, there’s 18 hens. I see a broken soft shell egg right in the coop door, then notice Ugly (the off hen) roosting on a low perch instead of her usual spot with everyone. There’s another broken soft shell egg right below her. Open the nest box and there’s a mess everywhere, but no sign of shell left (the BCM lays brittle eggs and they only eat the insides of hers so far). That’s 3 extra eggs within the past two hours to total 16 today. Do broodies often lay soft eggs when they start to lay again? Or is something worse up with poor Ugly?

It is most likely a calcium deficiency, I would feed oyster shells in with they’re feed. Maybe give ugly some by hand, if she won’t eat any, I would put them in her beak and she will swallow them. You can likely find them at your local feed store.

It is most likely a calcium deficiency, I would feed oyster shells in with they’re feed. Maybe give ugly some by hand, if she won’t eat any, I would put them in her beak and she will swallow them. You can likely find them at your local feed store.
I’ll try and bribe her specifically, they’ve been free ranging and barely touching the layer pellets at all 🙄 Yay for feed costs, but dang it Ugly lol. She was back to herself today and up on the roost, all eggs perfect

Back
Top Bottom