Soft shell eggs

3JT

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
SE Wisconsin
Hello. Wondering if anyone else has come across this scenario before. One of my pullets that has been laying for about 1.5 months pretty consistently lays 2 eggs/day. One will be a regular shelled egg that she will lay in the nest. The other will be a soft shell egg that she will lay wherever she happens to be. Usually I only find the membrane of the soft shell egg remaining as the chickens all eat it; I have actually found others waiting behind her to get to the egg as soon as it drops out. But so far no one has messed with the shelled eggs so that’s good. The eggs are usually laid about 12 hours apart from what I can tell. Also, on days she does not lay a soft shell egg, sometimes her shelled egg is extra large; we have so far found these to contain double yolks. It appears she is a high egg producer and eggs are being released too quickly for the shelling process to be complete. She is on layer feed and has access to free oyster shell calcium grit. Otherwise seems healthy. Does anyone have thoughts about this?

Do you have oyster shell and grit separate? These are two separate things.
Otherwise, her body is trying to figure itself out. She just needs time.
Congratulations on the double yokers! It is always fun having these!

Thank you; the oyster shell and grit are both separate so she can take what she needs. I just worry she will use up all her eggs and won’t lay for very long because of this. She has easily wasted 30 eggs already being soft shelled.

It appears she is a high egg producer and eggs are being released too quickly for the shelling process to be complete. She is on layer feed and has access to free oyster shell calcium grit. Otherwise seems healthy. Does anyone have thoughts about this?
Is she a high production breed?
Sexlink or leghorn or....?
Is she the only one of that breed that you have....and are other birds having any egg issues?
There's not much you can do about it.
I don't think this has anything to do with feed or OS or grit.

Is she a high production breed?
Sexlink or leghorn or....?
Is she the only one of that breed that you have....and are other birds having any egg issues?
There's not much you can do about it.
I don't think this has anything to do with feed or OS or grit.
I really am not sure of her exact breed. We ordered Rainbow Eggers from a hatchery which are different from Easter Eggers I guess. Each bird was completely different.

Back
Top Bottom