soft shell eggs?

sniper338

Songster
9 Years
Dec 15, 2013
San Antonio, Texas
Very soft...

I have put oyster shell grit mixed with their feed... im guessing they arent getting enough though... lots of the oyster shell grit seem to be too big where they wont eat it.... they eat the smaller pieces and toss out or dont touch bigger pieces...

Whats the best way to crush down the oyster grit a little more?? How do you feed your oyster shell?

If I put it in the feeder they dont eat enough... if I put it in a pan it goes everywhere except to their crop!!

I feed the purina layena... its an 18% protein feed... best ive found at tractor supply was purina flock raiser thats 20% protein.... other than that the highest protein feed I can find is just the starter feeders thats 30%.... from what I read everywhere I need around 25 to 26% protein in the feed for quail...

What info you got for me? If youve figured out a shell feeder system that works great post pics!!!!

Sometime I put stuff in a strong Baggie and lay it on a hard surface and hit it with a hammer.
I do this with corn, never tried it with oyster shells. Just do a little at a time because even the corn tends to rip the Baggie. Or if you can hammer it inside a container to catch any spillage.

Have a mortar and pestle? Also you could hit Target or Walmart and pick up a cheap coffee grinder, that should work.

Have a local pet store they have finer crushed oyster shell. Has a parakeet on the box. A bit courser than sand.

Speaking of. I give our girls play sand. They love to play in it but they peck it as they need it
Haven't gave them oyster shell in a few years

Back
Top Bottom