Soft Shell First Egg

JM 1st chickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
Hello!

I am excited but also worried because I just got my first "egg". I barely even noticed it. I have been noticing a spot made in the nesting box the past few days so I have been checking regularly. Today I noticed on odd pice and picked it up to find an extremely soft egg shell and nothing else. It doesn't seem like anyone tried eating it but rather that it was a soft shell egg that was smushed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I called my local feed store and they have no idea what I am talking about.

Please help!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Young layers often lay soft-shelled eggs when they are start laying. This should stop as their reproductive systems mature develop. Make sure that crushed oyster shell is always available to your laying pullets in a separate dish or pan (not mixed into their feed). This way each pullet can eat as much or as little as she needs. Different pullets absorb calcium at different rates, and depending on how good a layer she is, one pullet may just need more than another. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can.Good luck with your eggs.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Michael. Looks like a soft shell which is sign of lack of calcium. Provide oyster shell or eggshells to your hens free choice.

If also can be a sign of a new layer.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, When pullets start laying it usually takes them a little time to get on track and it is not unusual for them to lay all kinds of odd eggs, no shell, double yolks etc, they are just working the kinks out of their system ... the shell-less or thin shelled eggs are probably just a glitch in the system where the shell gland is still immature and they will work it out in the next couple of weeks and you will have some nice hard shelled eggs!
If you haven't already, since they have started laying it is a good time to start feeding them layer feed or give them oyster shell or other calcium free choice,

Thank you all!

I gave them oyster shells, fingers crossed I get good eggs soon!

Thank you for being so responsive to my messages, lots of new questions starting out!

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Soft shells and other oddities are quite common with new layers and sometimes with older layers. Nothing to worry about unless it continues. Enjoy the site!

Back
Top Bottom