Soft shell hanging from vent

Last night she slept in a dog kennel in our mud room. She had pooped once in there. She came out this morning walked around, she seems to have less energy, but not weak. She pecked at her crumble minimally, but ate a little egg with some calcium mixed in. Didn’t want to drink, might have gotten a few drops of water in with a syringe. She pooped twice and it looked normal but she seemed to need to squat and her legs got kinda shakey when she did it. I’m gonna keep her in the kennel in low light while I go to work and try and find an avian vet if I have time. She just stands in the kennel and closes her eyes when she’s in there, but will response to noses around her. She looks ok, but still have a gut feeling somethings not right.
Hi there my chicken is experiencing really the same thing. Can you tell me how things ended up for your hen?

Hi there my chicken is experiencing really the same thing. Can you tell me how things ended up for your hen?
She’s still doing it. Honestly she acts normally. She’s still queen of the other chickens, her comb is bright red, she appears healthy, she eats, she’s drinks, poops, tends her flock. But every once in a while she just shoots egg contents from her butt. Sometimes there is shell that’s very squishy we have too pull out. They are never lash eggs. I have no idea! Unless it’s activity happening she seems very content. I wish I had a better answer.

For anyone that was watching this post I have an update. It drives me crazy when I find a similar problem but then never find out what happened. For a few weeks I continued to pull soft shelled eggs from her vent. Sometimes she’d squat and lay something with a shell at all, sometimes I’d pull what seemed to be a chain of soft shells out. Always broken, eggs ranged from shelless, clear, parchmenty, to almost a goopy shell. Never a lash egg or pus, or funny smelling eggs. She looked and behaved normal this entire time. All the weird eggs stopped for a week or two and she appeared to go through a soft molt. Than last week she started just laying her regular eggs again. So maybe that was a fluke from her first molt.

Back
Top Bottom