Soft shell-less egg?

Pardee_Boy

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 3, 2010
Blissfield MI
My one hen that finally started to lay has a strange surprise on her third day of laying. First egg was rather large just a bit smaller than a supermarket "Large" egg and a double yolk to boot. Yesterdays egg alot smaller than the first but still a good egg. Today's bounty was a no shell gooey no yolk egg? It was just the membrane from the inside of the egg and no yolk. Is this common ?

Last edited:
Yes, very common! Her egg production parts are just getting warmed up! Unless you start to see this on a regular basis it is nothing to be concerned with. If you like you can make oyster shell available (I usually have it in a pie tin in the run) just to be sure they are getting enough calcium. The hens will only eat what is needed.
CJ

Once a week I dump a few handfulls of of oyster shells out in the run they peck at them once in a while. Just glad I'm finally seeing some eggs from my girls.Just a few more need to start and I'm in full tilt dozen egg a week farmer
wink.png
. Now that I'm getting eggs I looked in the fridge and I have dozen of store bought in there. Theres no way i'll be eating this many eggs . Looks like friends and neighbors are getting free eggs .

If you hard boil some of those store bought eggs, chop them up, shell and all, and throw them to your chickens they will be very happy. They love the protein and the shells will give them more calcium. Mine never leave a crumb on the ground, and they follow me all over the yard in hopes for more!

Thanks for posting, my bantam laid her first perfect tiny egg the other day, then this morning I saw a broken softie under her roost! Glad to hear it's not bad nutrition!

Back
Top Bottom