soft shell/noshell

Tnate

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2014
Cleveland Ga.
hello! I am a 'lurker' here on BYC...lol
Ok so...I have 5 hens,all approx. 5m old { maybe a week or 2 older}, any way, one hen started laying back about a month ago and has been pretty consistent.Then I have the mystery layer...just not sure of the who whats or whens of who is consistently dropping soft and no shelled eggs. I have them on an organic layer and they have oyster shell as well as I crush egg shells for them.
Today, after not laying for 2 days, my regular layer jumped up in my lap and layed a soft shelled egg. about 10 minutes later she dropped a broken soft shell and egg on the ground. now she has been laying in the nesting box for weeks now....WHAT GIVES!!
I'm so confused...lol Is this normal for beginners? And whats up with her laying in my lap??! Could there be a vit.D deficiency?
Otherwise they are normal...eating drinking fine.
U was giving veggie/fruit crap snacks to them and just cut that out to see if they would maybe be more balanced diet wise....HELP!!! Thanks in advance!

A shell less consists of a yolk, albumen and membrane, but has no shell at all. The egg contents are protected by the outer membrane only. These are often seen in pullets coming into lay. Causes are:

- Immature shell gland (young layer);

- Nutritional deficiency, usually lack of calcium and vitamins E, B12 and D as well as phosphorous and selenium;

- Certain diseases, such as Newcastle disease, infectious bronchitis, avian influenza, egg drop syndrome;

- Exposure to very high temperatures and extremely high or low humidity levels;

- An infestation of internal or external parasites, such as worms, mites or lice;

- Stress prompting the hen to lay an egg prematurely, before the shell is formed;

- Egg laying while molting;

- Exposure to toxins, such as mold, fungi, bacteria.

I bet that she is a young layer. Do you have a light on for them during the night of some sort or expose UV toward them during the night? If so that disrupts a chicken's laying cycle and their health too. A chicken's laying cycle is based on UV exposure and sunlight. I made that mistake when my chicken laid a shelless egg while I exposed UV light toward them during the night. Then it stopped when I turned it off for the following nights.

Here is a link for egg deformities:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

Back
Top Bottom