NikksChicks

Chirping
Aug 15, 2021
Vashon, WA
Hello fellow chicken tenders!

I’m at a bit of a loss and hoping to gain new information after researching online and reading similar posts here, but still unsure.

I started with 31 various-breed chickens September 14, 2021 for the first time ever (a dream come true!). A few died in transit, a few more within the first week, and 7 turned out to be roos that we culled, so we’re down to 18 hens and 1 runty roo. All healthy to my best knowledge.

I got my first egg from them on March 4, 2022 and consistently get 15 or so eggs daily now. About mid-March I was shocked to find a “rubber egg” on the poop deck under the roosting bars one morning and googled the crap (pun intended 🙂) out of that. I chalked it up to a random occurrence because they eat fortified crumble (https://www.amazon.com/Purina-Premi...31-2a80-498b-ad33-c67b30ade3e6&pd_rd_wg=Yx78N), have access to supplemental crushed oyster shell (and grit, separately), and I do not use/have never used vinegar. They get a few fresh veg/fruit treats in the morning, but not more than about 2TBSP-ish per bird. And maybe once a week the kids give tiny handfuls of meal worms or seeds to keep them friendly. So I assumed I was doing everything “right”.

Now, mid-April, I’m finding at least one rubber egg a day. Sometimes in the nesting boxes, sometimes randomly in their enclosed run. Or today, one in a box, one in the run. Both broken, but accounted for. 😫

I have no real way of knowing which one(s) of 18 is(are) doing it. I visit them several times a day but have never witnessed these specific eggs getting laid.

So, what do I do? Is it something I’m doing/not doing? Are they still working out their systems, even at 7 months old and having been laying for over 6 weeks now?

Thank you so much for any/all advice!!

Have you seen the flock eating the oyster shell (either seeing them in person, or seeing the levels drop in the dispenser)? My guess is the culprit bird(s) aren't eating them, though it's hard to supplement them if they cannot be identified.
I have seen some of them peck through it, and the level has gone down, but not by much… should I add more into the feed as well?

I have seen some of them peck through it, and the level has gone down, but not by much… should I add more into the feed as well?
What I'd try first is crush up some clean, dry eggshells and mix those into the oyster shell dish. Some chickens prefer eggshell over oyster shell, and that may encourage them to eat more of both.

Back
Top Bottom