Soft shell

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
My EE has been laying for about a week now. Today she laid her 4th egg. She was in the nesting box everytime I checked on her (she was taking a super long time). Once I heard the egg song I went out there to collect and nothing was in the box. So I opened up the access door and there was a broken, soft shell egg sitting right under where they roost. I'm pretty sure it was hers because shes my only layer right now but I didnt check inside before she went in to lay so not sure if it was already there. If its hers is there any concern on it being short shelled? I'm feeding all flock because I currently have non layers but am providing oyster shells that I have seen her eat. Also, anything I should look out for? The egg was broken but not sure if it broke on the fall down or if she broke it.

If its hers is there any concern on it being short shelled? I'm feeding all flock because I currently have non layers but am providing oyster shells that I have seen her eat. Also, anything I should look out for?
According to your description this is simply a new layer hiccup from the reproductive system working out any glitches in it's very complex system, and no cause for concern!

Broken eggs are often a happy accident that may get eaten and could lead to egg eaters.. but catching it early helps and again, most often an accident.

Since learning that the 16% protein feed of most "layer" is considered the minimum to keep a light bodied bird like Leghorn in laying condition.. I too use flock raiser (Purina 20% protein) with free choice oyster shell on the side and have done so for several years now.. More nutrition going in equals more nutrients in the eggs my family consumes.. plus I do tons of hatching and often have juveniles, roosters, layers, molter's, and broody's who don't need the excess calcium.. since making the change my older birds go through molt better and return to lay sooner than when using layer. It isn't just the extra protein but according to my research also the extra amino acids..

Congratulations on your first eggs! :wee

According to your description this is simply a new layer hiccup from the reproductive system working out any glitches in it's very complex system, and no cause for concern!

Broken eggs are often a happy accident that may get eaten and could lead to egg eaters.. but catching it early helps and again, most often an accident.

Since learning that the 16% protein feed of most "layer" is considered the minimum to keep a light bodied bird like Leghorn in laying condition.. I too use flock raiser (Purina 20% protein) with free choice oyster shell on the side and have done so for several years now.. More nutrition going in equals more nutrients in the eggs my family consumes.. plus I do tons of hatching and often have juveniles, roosters, layers, molter's, and broody's who don't need the excess calcium.. since making the change my older birds go through molt better and return to lay sooner than when using layer. It isn't just the extra protein but according to my research also the extra amino acids..

Congratulations on your first eggs! :wee
Oh good. Glad I'm not doing anything wrong. She had a huge egg yesterday it was a double le yold, so I'm wondering if that may have affected it somehow also. Shes an EE so I didnt plan on her laying daily. Her egg yesterday looked fine so hopefully just a fluke. She did try to eat it but I scooped it up quickly. Hoping that prevents any egg eating.

Attachments

• IMG_20200707_104534_040.jpg
    IMG_20200707_104534_040.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 1
She had a huge egg yesterday it was a double le yold,
That's a beautiful egg! :love

Those big ones are scary as egg binding can be deadly. :hmm

My first EE, in her first season, in southern California.. laid for 21 days in a row took a day off and followed with another 21 days of laying. Then time off and sporadic thereafter. My most recent EE was a very consistent layer a few years on.. 3- 4 eggs per week.

Fake eggs are useful in nest to help deter any curiosity pecks. Hope you other gals join the laying party soon! :)

My first EE, in her first season, in southern California.. laid for 21 days in a row took a day off and followed with another 21 days of laying. Then time off and sporadic thereafter. My most recent EE was a very consistent layer a few years on.. 3- 4 eggs per week.

Fake eggs are useful in nest to help deter any curiosity pecks. Hope you other gals join the laying party soon! :)
I do have fake eggs in there. I'm super confused though because she was in the nesting box, got out and walked to the other side of the coop, laid the soft shell egg, then went back to the nesting box and sat on the fake egg? It had to have been hers because I didnt find any other egg in there and she was panting like she was about to lay then did the egg song. But I keep wondering if one of the others laid and egg while roosting? I dont know. I'll keep an eye out.

And I'm now wondering if that's why she went 2 days without laying, because it was so big. Her first 2 eggs were pretty small then she pushed out this monster. This was her first egg. 2nd was a tad bigger but not by much.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_130748_003.jpg
    IMG_20200703_130748_003.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom