soft-shelled duck eggs

Yes very true about watching their butts. Birds have a self defense mechanism in that when they are ill they don't usually show signs of it until 24 before their death. This is to help prevent predators from knowing that they are the weaker ones to be picked off. Great for them, not so great for us in trying to figure out if there is a problem. One thing I will say is my ducks always come to me at night to be put to bed. On the night that Frankie had her prolapse when I called them, she didn't come. I had to coax her out from under a bush to go to bed. I thought it was strange and in lieu of her laying soft shell eggs something I should have really taken note of. It was a sign I missed. I am still heartbroken that I didn't know enough about my babies to save her in time. When I think back at the signs that were there, had I been more educated on their well being and know what I know now she may have had a chance. I am so thankful for this forum as at least this is a "heads up" place to get some answers if I do see any signs that are out of the norm. Good luck with your girls :0)

Thank you for sharing your story here. I'm so sorry to hear about Frankie :(

This forum and the awesome people on it have helped me a great deal, too. I'm pretty inexperienced; these are my first ducks and they're only 5-6 months old, so BYC has been a really good resource.

Hello all and happy new year. Does anyone know how much oyster shell is too much and I give my girls romaine lettuce. Could the lettuce be inhibiting calcium absorption?

Oyster shell is generally set out in a separate container, free choice, and they can eat what they want from it.

I feel that any low-calcium treat, if they eat too much, may imbalance calcium.

At the same time, lettuce is low-calorie and I would not expect them to eat too much, and only spinach, to my knowledge, contains substances that inhibit calcium absorption.

I recently read that ducks have an ability to vary their calcium usage - storing extra and releasing it as needed - and that keeping their calcium intake too steady may inhibit this ability.

This was news to me.

Hi I need help as well with my rouen female. This is her second laying season and she has been laying very soft shelled eggs. And I found one today that I got to scoop up before she stepped on it and popped it. But it had a tail on it. I will post a picture. Any hints on what might be the problem?

Feed them oyster shell, and make sure they have the right food, with correct amount of protien. My Pekin gets soft shells every once in a while.

I have a mallard female who just started laying eggs a few weeks ago. All were normal looking eggs & I found one every day in her cage. The past few days, I've found soft shelled eggs in her water bowl or on the ground. She seems more worried about spending time with me, than her eggs. She's my only duck & is a pet. She's been on laying feed, since her first egg came. Am I doing something wrong? Is it cuz I'm taking the eggs away from her? Should I be leaving them in with her? Help?

I have a mallard female who just started laying eggs a few weeks ago. All were normal looking eggs & I found one every day in her cage. The past few days, I've found soft shelled eggs in her water bowl or on the ground. She seems more worried about spending time with me, than her eggs. She's my only duck & is a pet. She's been on laying feed, since her first egg came. Am I doing something wrong? Is it cuz I'm taking the eggs away from her? Should I be leaving them in with her? Help?
@Star78 Being an only duck she is going to want to spend time with you you are her flock. Laying soft shelled eggs can happen and be normal but if the happen day after day there is something wrong, I'd try and add some extra calcium to her day you can use Peas is she likes them smashed with some calcium gluconate mixed in or calcium citrate I have it in capsule and open and mix into the peas mix well. I have even put the cal glu into their water for a couple days. It does seem that once in a while they just need that extra boost.
Since you don't have a drake and she won't be hatching ducklings just take her eggs no since an leaving them. It won't make any difference in how they will come out.

If she has a special treat she likes better than peas use that to give her the extra calcim. Also putting out oyster shell in a separate bowl close to where you feed her can help give her extra calcium for hard egg shells. She'll eat it as she needs it.

So, yesterday & today my girl hasn't laid anything. No soft shells, no regular, no nothing. I hear her in the morning scratching, making up her nest area, but then nothing? I've searched thru the bedding & even the water bowl & she's not laid at all. I don't get it, she laid a good egg every day for 3 weeks & then the 2 soft shelled & now nothing. Is she sick or is something wrong with her? I don't care if she gives me eggs or not, just want her to be okay.

@Star78 They have egg laying cycles. They lay steady for a few weeks or longer depending on the breed then they have to take a break to give their bodies a rest. If they didn't they would be completely laid out in a year. And Quite often at end or beginning of egg laying they will lay soft shelled eggs so most likely what is going on is normal. Just keep an eye on her for abnormal behavior like straining, tail down or off feed, make sure she is getting adequate calcium besides her laying feed. Even when I feed layer I keep oyster shell out for mine it's in expensive and worth it to know if they need extra they have it at their disposal.

Back
Top Bottom