soft-shelled duck eggs

@Star78

Hi,

Have you started giving her extra calcium? Whether she is laying or not right now, if her last few eggs had soft shells, it is a good idea to add calcium. Also, if she is not outdoors much, she may need a boost of vitamin D, and in winter I give my ducks a little bit of good quality dry cat kibble.

I agree with what Miss Lydia has said. Mallards are generally seasonal layers, though my White Mallard is laying now and has been for, hmm, a few weeks. She goes on and off, lays for a few weeks, takes a rest.

The factors that affect laying are, I feel, more than those we read about. We read about light hours, diet, mostly, also mating and illness including parasite load, but I know stress and even, I suspect, social interactions and environmental factors affect them. I know temperature affects laying, I saw that our first year.

Eggs can get stuck. Sechs was eggbound just this past week. Praise the Lord, she passed the egg yesterday morning. Rumpled up bit of soft egg shell. But that is very serious for a number of reasons. Her symptoms were mild lethargy, standing away from the flock, walking stiff-legged and slowly, staring off into space, and tail pumping. She held her tail downward, too. There was also some egg white and later, egg yolk, coming out when she pooped.

Among other things, we gave her extra calcium to help get her system back on track.

She hasn't been acting strange or anything, just her normal self. Wants to be with me constantly or in the bathtub. She has pretty much free roam around the house during the day. She's my baby & I just want to make sure she's okay. I'd be devastated if something happened to her. I did add some calcium in her cage, like everyone recommended. She has been making her nest this morning. Pretty nice one actually & she's sitting in it now. Hopefully she's got an egg under her somewhere, so I know she's not egg bound. I'll keep everyone updated on Lloyd's progress. Yes it a boys name, but was I misinformed on her sex when I got her as a duckling & she comes to her name, so I can't change it.

Great report - please keep us updated. And I think Lloyd is a great name for a duck.

(I have a grand-niece named Charli. Not short for Charlene or Charlotte. Her name is Charli.)

So, Lloyd actually laid an egg today. A regular egg. Not a greenish pigment as the others, but not soft or white either. Yay! So glad she's not blocked up.
1f603.png
1f603.png

Super excited that Lloyd is doing better. Little curious why her egg wasn't the same color as the past ones. Is that bad?
That is great news about Lloyd.. So happy for you and her . My Muscovy's lay difference color eggs at time some are a khaki color others are beige I don't know why but it must be normal since some of mine that do this are 5-9 yrs old. lol

That's good to know then. Hers are usually a light mint greenish color & this one was more tannish with a hint of green. The soft shells were tan colored too. The inside looks normal though. My husband eats them, only reason I know about the insides. Seems weird for me to eat them, cuz Lloyd is like my child, just doesn't seem right. lol.

That's good to know then. Hers are usually a light mint greenish color & this one was more tannish with a hint of green. The soft shells were tan colored too. The inside looks normal though. My husband eats them, only reason I know about the insides. Seems weird for me to eat them, cuz Lloyd is like my child, just doesn't seem right. lol.
LOL bake with them that way your slowly breaking your way into trying them. They are great in baked goods.

Back
Top Bottom