Soft shelled egg. Should I switch feed?

Kidney failure is not gonna show up at 1 year and 2 months. If anybody reading this DO NOT feed hens layer unless they are actually laying eggs. That means all of the hens are laying not just one. Blanket statements like above rarely cover equally. 17-20 weeks might be fine with one breed of bird but might shorten the lifespan of another breed. Throw a rooster in there that should never be fed layer you add another variable.
thanks for ur thought. sorry if i'm being too sensitive towards this but if you can go easy on words next time it would be appreciated.

thanks

I’m not saying to do this but my family used to feed newborn baby chicks layer pellets blended up. They would eat that their whole lives. We have never had any kidney problems whatsoever. Different people say different things and have different stories. I have never had any problems.... and some people have....

I’m not saying to do this but my family used to feed newborn baby chicks layer pellets blended up. They would eat that their whole lives. We have never had any kidney problems whatsoever. Different people say different things and have different stories. I have never had any problems.... and some people have....
Side note some of ours that were fed layer feed as chicks are now 5 years old and one is 6+ years old!😉 But yes oyster shells is definitely the best option!😉

Congrats on your first eggs. The first ones are goofy ones. I agree to finish out chick feed and add oyster shell free choice like is shown. As they get older the eggs will get normal. I think they still need the extra protein at 10 weeks old. It's cool you know which hen laid them. How many in your flock?

Feeding them later feed is not a problem at all with young pullets!😉 Ours were put out with the big hens and eating later feed at about 8 weeks and it didn’t have any bad effects!😉 But oyster shells is probably the best choice for right now as long as you can put it out!😉
Oh, that much extra calcium in 8 week old birds is not good..they may look fine, but kidney damage won’t show until they get older, overheated, or in other more subtle ways. Better to feed starter or grower ration and provide extra calcium as calcium carbonate or oyster shell as a free choice in a separate container..

Oh, that much extra calcium in 8 week old birds is not good..they may look fine, but kidney damage won’t show until they get older, overheated, or in other more subtle ways. Better to feed starter or grower ration and provide extra calcium as calcium carbonate or oyster shell as a free choice in a separate container..
Yeah I know that things can happen but did you read my other posts? I’m saying we’ve never had any problems after feeding layer feed to newborn baby chicks that have now grown up into 5+ year old healthy hens!😉 Also just a random question wondering if anyone here has actually experienced kidney malfunction with their birds before? I just haven’t heard much about it.😉

Yeah I know that things can happen but did you read my other posts? I’m saying we’ve never had any problems after feeding layer feed to newborn baby chicks that have now grown up into 5+ year old healthy hens!😉 Also just a random question wondering if anyone here has actually experienced kidney malfunction with their birds before? I just haven’t heard much about it.😉
This reasoning is..ridiculous, I’m sorry. You also can’t say that maybe your chickens could have laid more eggs, or won’t stop laying years earlier than they should, or won’t die prematurely. Saying you “haven’t heard” of problems and have had birds survive your care is anecdotal at best and faulty reasoning. See neo71665 above.

This reasoning is..ridiculous, I’m sorry. You also can’t say that maybe your chickens could have laid more eggs, or won’t stop laying years earlier than they should, or won’t die prematurely. Saying you “haven’t heard” of problems and have had birds survive your care is anecdotal at best and faulty reasoning. See neo71665 above.
Okay now I’m very confused. Sorry but I was saying the same as you in that the OP should just use oyster shells and sharing my own experiences...

Okay now I’m very confused. Sorry but I was saying the same as you in that the OP should just use oyster shells and sharing my own experiences...
If there’s confusion just ignore me..I can rant with the best of them, and I know you only want the best for your birds like everyone else here..

Back
Top Bottom