Soft shelled egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justmeandtheflock, Oct 3, 2009.

1. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Has anyone tried to hatch a soft shelled egg? I just found one when I was locking the birds up that is a good size and intact so it had me wondering? I am 7 days into my hatch so I can't pop it in [​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Good question! I would think it would evaporate quicker, so you'd have to run it at higher humidity (so heck, why not go ahead and pop it in, then keep the humidity up after the first hatch?). Also would probably be more susceptible to bacteria and what-not. But other than that, I don't see why it couldn't hatch. It would probably be similar to hatching a double-yolker in that it usually won't work, but maybe sometimes it would. I think you should pop it in and see! [​IMG]

3. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    lol, I might [​IMG] I already have a double yolker in there with 2 moving babies. Just couldn't help myself [​IMG]

4. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    OK, it's in the bator [​IMG] For the sake of science it weight 1.8 oz and it was laid by a young RSL. The roo is either an EE or a silver phoenix. Here are some pics I took [​IMG]

Just the egg.
    [​IMG]

Candeling - just 1 yolk
    [​IMG]

In the bator
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by