soft shelled egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eggshell, Aug 29, 2008.

1. eggshell

eggshell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    wiltshire, england
    my goldline hen has just laid her first egg (yippee!) however it has a very soft shell, is this normal and will her eggs eventually become normal?

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    often times a hens first egg will be soft. The next one will likely be a nice hard egg [​IMG]

3. Silly Chickens

Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

They will become normal....be sure she is getting oyster shell though.

My Barred Rocks both started with soft shell eggs....and that lasted up to 2 weeks for me [​IMG] One of them will sometimes lay 2 soft shell eggs in the same day.....just going through her too fast I suppose.

4. eggshell

eggshell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    wiltshire, england
    thanks guys! thats put my mind at rest, shes back in the nest box at this very moment, i'm on tenterhooks lol

5. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    My older hen has been laying them about twice a week. She was laying well in the spring but stopped. For the past few weeks she's been spending time in the nest box with no results. I've found a few membranes on the coop floor, the contents eaten. Last night I went to count beaks and lock up and right under where Sasha was roosting there was a shell -less egg. It had broken as it must have fallen right out of her as she roosted. I scooped it up. No need for them to get a taste of fresh raw eggs. Don't know what's up with Sasha. She's getting layer pellets and has oyster shell available. She's at least 4 years old now I think. Maybe just a whacky older hormonal thing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by