soft shelled eggs - help...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sparky134, Sep 19, 2010.

1. sparky134

sparky134 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    My pullets are 20 weeks and have been wormed and treated with amproline. So i am pretty confident that there is no internal parasite problem also have checked for external - none. The problem I'm having is they are laying eggs in the nite off of their roost and the egg shells are soft but then during the day are a few normal eggs. Any suggestion out there?? They are on layena and have free choice to oyster shell also giving them yogurt twice a week..

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

3. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    I am no expert but my chickens (all but one) layed several shelless eggs, also double yokers and a couple wrinkled eggs before they settled down to laying normal eggs. I have one pullet that still is messed up in this regard. I'm hopeing my last girl gets normal soon. My guess is that she will. I've read on BYC that this is not uncommon for new layers. Hang in there. [​IMG]

4. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    I agree - they are still learning how the egg thing works. I get a rubber egg every once in a great while especially around moulting time. I just pump up the extra nutrients. Yogurt, Tuna, & Oyster shells. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by