Soft shelled eggs

Maroi

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2020
Malta, Europe
My 18 months old chicken is laying soft shelled eggs. It is the third day in a row although these last weeks I was noticing that the egg shell was becoming quite thin. She and the other hens seem healthy. I give them one cup layer feed each daily and kitchen scraps like banana, apple, potato, broccoli, cauliflour etc. They free range and have enough grit and sunlight. They also have a seperate container with crushed eggshells in their coop. What am I doing wrong? Maybe she needs probiotics or something else? Or is it some disease? Please advise. Thank you for your help

Often young layers will lay soft shelled eggs - mine have done quite a few. Maybe try hand feeding the eggshells to her; I've noticed mine'll take it more readily at night when they're roosting... I think it's because that's when they're forming the eggshell, so they need more calcium. Hope this helps! :)

Thanks for your reply - I will try to handfeed but neither of the hens seem interested in the crushed shells. I am afraid there is more to it. The five other hens do not have this problem and they eat the same diet. Thanks again

My 18 months old chicken is laying soft shelled eggs. It is the third day in a row although these last weeks I was noticing that the egg shell was becoming quite thin. She and the other hens seem healthy. I give them one cup layer feed each daily and kitchen scraps like banana, apple, potato, broccoli, cauliflour etc. They free range and have enough grit and sunlight. They also have a seperate container with crushed eggshells in their coop. What am I doing wrong? Maybe she needs probiotics or something else? Or is it some disease? Please advise. Thank you for your help
They should have access to the layer feed every hour they are awake.
Cut out all the scraps...except a bit once a week.

At 18 months old she may be ramping down laying for molt and winter break,
if you live in the northern hemisphere.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1606395876469.png

They should have access to the layer feed every hour they are awake.
Cut out all the scraps...except a bit once a week.

At 18 months old she may be ramping down laying for molt and winter break,
if you live in the northern hemisphere.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2425825

It's autumn and the temperature is still quite mild - around 20 degrees celsius. Malta is an island situated in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea.
Has anyone tried feeding the hens fermented feed? Thanks for your replies.

Back
Top Bottom