soft shells / broken eggs for sometime now

Rkhan

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2019
Hi there
I have seven chickens and one of them has been laying soft shell eggs on and off and they break in the nesting box. Recently, for the past 4 days her eggs have been consistently soft shell and broken. They do have access to oyster shells. Should I give her calcium supplement (600mg per tablet) as am emergency aid. I do not have Tums. Please advice.

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
Has this chicken ever laid hard shelled eggs or is this a new layer? What are you feeding, layer or all flock/grower? Have you ever seen her eating the oyster shells?

If she's a new layer, I wouldn't panic yet, as they can have some glitches as they ramp up into laying. If this is a hen that's already laid hard shelled eggs before, but you do not know for sure if she's eating oyster shell, you can try wetting a small amount of feed and then mixing oyster shell into it, and giving that to her 2-3x a week. If it works she should show results within 2 weeks or so.

Rkhan

In the Brooder
Sep 4, 2019
Has this chicken ever laid hard shelled eggs or is this a new layer? What are you feeding, layer or all flock/grower? Have you ever seen her eating the oyster shells?

If she's a new layer, I wouldn't panic yet, as they can have some glitches as they ramp up into laying. If this is a hen that's already laid hard shelled eggs before, but you do not know for sure if she's eating oyster shell, you can try wetting a small amount of feed and then mixing oyster shell into it, and giving that to her 2-3x a week. If it works she should show results within 2 weeks or so.
She has been laying since Jan/feb. She has produced hard shell eggs and I don’t remember seeing her eat it. Maybe she has but every time I’ve put our oyster shells in the past, I’ve gotten hard shells but this time nothing.
surprisingly I didn’t get any soft shell eggs yesterday and I know that she Didn’t skip a day cuz all of my chickens laid yesterday.
thoughts?

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
surprisingly I didn’t get any soft shell eggs yesterday and I know that she Didn’t skip a day cuz all of my chickens laid yesterday.
thoughts?

Well you can try supplementing a little bit of calcium as I mentioned above, maybe just once a week at this point, and see if that keeps things working properly.

Top Bottom