1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

soft shells on pekins

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickabator, Aug 31, 2009.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I have 5 pekin ducks 1 male and 4 females they started laying here about 2 weeks ago the first day we got 2 eggs, then 1 egg every day since. dh found a soft egg the other day so we gave them oyster shell in with their feed. yesterday evening we found 2 soft shelled eggs and yesterday morning 1 normal. Is this normal for them to lay soft shelled eggs on their first eggs? how can I get more calcium into them.

2. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've had the same thing happen recently, even posted on my website about it this week. I have been told that first eggs can be somewhat "wonky". Is that a good word for them?? I've had some membrane eggs and also some teeny tiny ones. Maybe add oyster shell to their feed, but my older girls are laying just fine, so it may just be the newbie layers.

3. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    mine are new layers also. we give oyster shell in their feed we have one that lays a huge very hard egg everyday and then the other two are just as soft as can be

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I believe that they are learning to lay....This is new to them.....I speak from chicken experience on this as my ducks are not yet laying....It makes siense that this is happening with your ducks..........

Be blessed and be a blessing..

Nancy

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Do they look like this?

I had a hen that laid these eggs once every couple months while all her other eggs were normal, as well as everyone elses. sometimes they just do that. but i would try the oyster shell mixed in the feed...they should shovel it right up [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by