Soggy, no rather I should say "moist" coop floor

I had another thought for you, Hip Hillbilly Farm. You might also want to check your overhangs. For instance, I use a tarp staked over my greenhouse frame (large hoop coop) as shown. We get moisture coming in the ends of the coop a few inches, but the run is so large, it's immaterial. The rest stays extremely dry. I put wood chips in that are damp from ground contact and partially composted- they've been sitting in my driveway for months. I get so much cross breeze and through breeze that any wood chip moisture quickly goes away, and I haven't had any respiratory issues. The overhangs keep it a lot dryer than laying the tarp flat up against the hoop, and make the rain travel farther across the ground before it can get into the coop, also avoids ground splashing except at the open ends.

I'm in north Alabama USA, so we get major humidity and hot temperatures most of the year, and quite a bit of rain usually.

That's a beautiful setup for the Steamy Southeast!

I had another thought for you, Hip Hillbilly Farm. You might also want to check your overhangs. For instance, I use a tarp staked over my greenhouse frame (large hoop coop) as shown. We get moisture coming in the ends of the coop a few inches, but the run is so large, it's immaterial. The rest stays extremely dry. I put wood chips in that are damp from ground contact and partially composted- they've been sitting in my driveway for months. I get so much cross breeze and through breeze that any wood chip moisture quickly goes away, and I haven't had any respiratory issues. The overhangs keep it a lot dryer than laying the tarp flat up against the hoop, and make the rain travel farther across the ground before it can get into the coop, also avoids ground splashing except at the open ends. But my main concern to begin with was having good ventilation in the hottest, most humid days of summer. The overhangs on the tarp did a great job of capturing any breeze and moving it through the run.

I'm in north Alabama USA, so we get major humidity and hot temperatures most of the year, and quite a bit of rain usually.
Hot diggity. By jove I believe you've got it (said in a British accent).

If you mean moist like a wrung-out sponge, that's about right for actively-composting deep litter over a dirt floor to work most effectively.

Wetter than that can be a problem.

More dry organic material can't hurt. :)

Are the trees in the picture of your fence in the other thread pines? Pine straw is great because the natural coating on the needles resists moisture and stays dry on top.
OK, I am going to go out there NOW and take a pic of the floor. I can't say "ground" kinda because he built the thing with wire on the bottom, then on top of that I have the 'stuff" leaves, pine needles, wood chips, blah, blah.

K, be right back!

Uggh, tried to get inside coop, those lil bieles and neiderrs stay right at the door. They keep trying to get out (too soon). On third try I fell over the fence somehow. I mean literally one minute I am dashing toward the coop door, next minute on the ground; bam. Wish I had it on video. We are talking big, black woman, almost 200 lbs on the ground. My left leg is scratched up, skirt is filthy; whew lord, whoda known chickening could be hazardous to ones health.

Okay, I'm going back out there to try and get IN without them getting out. Oh, I am excited because I have acorn squash on a kabob (or whatever you call it) for them. I even tried throwing pieces in to distract them. Nooot; they ain't stupid.

K, here I go out there again . . . :yesss:

Uggh, tried to get inside coop, those lil bieles and neiderrs stay right at the door. They keep trying to get out (too soon). On third try I fell over the fence somehow. I mean literally one minute I am dashing toward the coop door, next minute on the ground; bam. Wish I had it on video. We are talking big, black woman, almost 200 lbs on the ground. My left leg is scratched up, skirt is filthy; whew lord, whoda known chickening could be hazardous to ones health.

Okay, I'm going back out there to try and get IN without them getting out. Oh, I am excited because I have acorn squash on a kabob (or whatever you call it) for them. I even tried throwing pieces in to distract them. Nooot; they ain't stupid.

Oh no! Hope you're all right!

Chickens have definitely different ideas of personal space! I have to kick at them with my feet to make sure I can clear the door (more of an insistent nudge, just enough for them to know I'm serious).

Chickens have definitely different ideas of personal space! I have to kick at them with my feet to make sure I can clear the door (more of an insistent nudge, just enough for them to know I'm serious).
A League of Their Own - Wild Animals.gif
A League of Their Own - Leash.gif

It certainly can be hazardous. Your coop doesn't look like one you can lock yourself in at least. I have locked myself in the run a couple times...if I hadn't managed to McGyver my way out I imagine someone would have wondered where dinner was and come looking for me...eventually...maybe... 🤔

Yeah; I hate too but daaag yaw'll (to the chicks); I'm trying to help YOU!!!! I am fine, thanks. Leg is stinging. Got hubby to come out and help. He just shoves 'em out the way :eek:.

It certainly can be hazardous. Your coop doesn't look like one you can lock yourself in at least. I have locked myself in the run a couple times...if I hadn't managed to McGyver my way out I imagine someone would have wondered where dinner was and come looking for me...eventually...maybe... 🤔
How about this, one day not too long ago I was shoveling flooring materials in. I have a gorilla cart. That bad boy backed up against the door with me inside; no cell phone on me; hubby gone. :lau I pictured him laughing at me whenever he would have returned home and pushed against the door and got out. Of course I told him about it when he did arrive (just before dusk). Mmm, mmm, I feel your pain.

Back
Top Bottom